What is the true definition of the covariant gamma matrix ##\gamma_{5}##?

In summary, the covariant gamma matrices and chirality matrix are defined in terms of the gamma matrices, with the chirality matrix having its index "downstairs". However, there is some ambiguity in the notation, with some books choosing to use only one type of 5 (either upstairs or downstairs). Additionally, the 5th gamma is a pseudo-scalar and should not be referred to with the index "5".
spaghetti3451
Covariant gamma matrices are defined by

$$\gamma_{\mu}=\eta_{\mu\nu}\gamma^{\nu}=\{\gamma^{0},-\gamma^{1},-\gamma^{2},-\gamma^{3}\}.$$

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The gamma matrix ##\gamma^{5}## is defined by

$$\gamma^{5}\equiv i\gamma^{0}\gamma^{1}\gamma^{2}\gamma^{3}.$$

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is the covariant matrix ##\gamma_{5}## then defined by

$$\gamma_{5} = i\gamma_{0}(-\gamma_{1})(-\gamma_{2})(-\gamma_{3})?$$

Physics news on Phys.org
No, typically the chirality matrix has the index "downstairs" and is defined in terms of the "downstair" gammas. So the three minuses in your last equality should be omitted.k

dextercioby said:
No, typically the chirality matrix has the index "downstairs" and is defined in terms of the "downstair" gammas. So the three minuses in your last equality should be omitted.k

But, in Peskin and Schroeder, page 50, ##\gamma^{5}## is defined as

$$\gamma^{5}\equiv i\gamma^{0}\gamma^{1}\gamma^{2}\gamma^{3}$$

and the downstairs index is not used on the chirality matrix.

Iirc, there's only one matrix being used (either with the index "down" or "up"), not both in a book. I don't have a statistics in my head, but the lower 5 is prevalent.

So, you mean

$$\gamma_{5} \equiv \gamma^{5} \equiv i\gamma^{0}\gamma^{1}\gamma^{2}\gamma^{3}?$$

No, to have a consistent definition, you have gamma_5 = i gamma_0 * gamma_1 *...
And separately gamma^5 = i gamma^0 * gamma^1 *...
Because of the sign ambiguity (the metric has either 1 or 3 minuses), books will choose to use only one type of 5.

Last edited:
But equation (36.46) in Srenicki has

$$\gamma_{5} = i\gamma^{0}\gamma^{1}\gamma^{2}\gamma^{3}$$

failexam said:
But equation (36.46) in Srenicki has$$\gamma_{5} = i\gamma^{0}\gamma^{1}\gamma^{2}\gamma^{3}$$
That's because the '5' is just a dummy name, not a legitimate index. The 2nd part of Srednicki's (36.46) is actually $$\gamma_5 ~=~ -\,\frac{i}{24}\, \epsilon_{\mu\nu\rho\sigma} \gamma^\mu \gamma^\nu \gamma^\rho \gamma^\sigma ~.$$Peskin & Schroeder do something similar on p49 where they write $$\gamma^{\mu\nu\rho\sigma} ~=~ \gamma^{[\mu} \gamma^\nu \gamma^\rho \gamma^{\sigma]} ~,$$but then introduce a ##\gamma^5## in eq(3.68). Whichever place you put the "5" index, the 5th gamma is a pseudo-scalar. It should probably be called something else not involving the index "5".

Related to What is the true definition of the covariant gamma matrix ##\gamma_{5}##?

1. What are covariant gamma matrices?

Covariant gamma matrices are a set of mathematical objects used in the field of theoretical physics, particularly in the study of relativity and quantum mechanics. They are a representation of the fundamental algebraic structure of space-time and describe the behavior of particles and fields in a four-dimensional space-time.

2. How are covariant gamma matrices different from regular gamma matrices?

Covariant gamma matrices are specifically designed to maintain their mathematical properties under transformations of space and time, while regular gamma matrices do not. This allows them to accurately represent the behavior of particles and fields in a variety of coordinate systems.

3. What is the significance of covariant gamma matrices in physics?

Covariant gamma matrices are essential in the study of relativistic and quantum systems, as they accurately describe the behavior of particles and fields in a four-dimensional space-time. They are also used in the formulation of various physical theories, such as the Dirac equation and the Standard Model of particle physics.

4. How do covariant gamma matrices relate to the concept of spin in quantum mechanics?

Covariant gamma matrices are used to mathematically represent the spin of particles in quantum mechanics. Spin is a fundamental property of particles, and the covariant gamma matrices allow for the accurate description of how spin affects the behavior of particles in a four-dimensional space-time.

5. Are covariant gamma matrices used in any practical applications?

Yes, covariant gamma matrices have practical applications in various fields of physics, including particle physics, condensed matter physics, and cosmology. They are also used in the development of technologies, such as superconductors and quantum computers.