What is the total kinetic energy of the globe, professor, and platform?"

In summary, the conversation discusses a question about a physics demonstration where a professor spins a globe on a turntable and calculates the angular speed and total kinetic energy of the system. The conversation includes the calculation of angular momentum and the use of conservation of angular momentum to determine the angular speed. For the total kinetic energy, the professor and platform are treated as one system and the formulas for kinetic energy are used. The individual's method is deemed to be correct by others in the conversation.
nemesys
Hello all, I am working on a question as part of an assignment, and while I think I have the correct solution, would just like to check if I have gone about this the right way.

Question: "At the beginning of each term, a physics professor named Dr. Zeus shows the class his expectations of them through a demonstration that he calls "Lesson #1." He stands at the center of a turntable that can rotate without friction. He then takes a 2-kg globe of the Earth and swings it around his head at the end of a 0.8-m chain. The world revolves around him every 3 s, and the professor and the platform have a moment of inertia of 0.5 kg m^2 . (a) What is the angular speed of the professor? (b) What is the total kinetic energy of the globe, professor, and platform?"

Since there is no external torque acting on the system, I figured that the momentum must be conserved. If the professor starts at rest therefore, then the spinning of the globe must cause the platform to spin to counteract it. So I calculated the angular momentum of the globe, treating it like a point mass, using L = m*r^2*w , I found the momentum of the globe to be 2.68 kg*m^2/s. Using conservation of angular momentum, I then use L(globe) = L(platform+professor), L(globe) = Iw, and found w to be 5.36 /s.

For part (b), I figured basically just treat the professor and platform as one system, and use the kinetic energy formulas ( k = 1/2 I*w^2 for the platform, k = 1/2 m*r^2*w for the globe), and summed them to get 8.52 J.

I think I have done this well, but, am I completely off? Some input would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
If the given angular velocity of the glob is in the fram fix with Earth then it seems good. Your method is correct.

I would say that your approach to the problem is correct. You have correctly applied the conservation of angular momentum to find the angular speed of the professor and the total kinetic energy of the system. Your calculations and reasoning seem sound and in line with the principles of physics. However, it is always a good idea to double check your work and make sure all units are consistent. Overall, it seems like you have approached the problem correctly and have the correct solution. Good job!

Related to What is the total kinetic energy of the globe, professor, and platform?"

1. What is kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy of motion, or the energy an object possesses due to its movement.

2. How is kinetic energy calculated?

Kinetic energy is calculated as 1/2 times the mass of an object multiplied by its velocity squared (KE = 1/2 mv^2).

3. What is the total kinetic energy of the globe?

The total kinetic energy of the globe would depend on its mass and velocity, which can vary depending on factors such as its rotation and orbit around the sun.

4. What is the total kinetic energy of the professor?

The total kinetic energy of the professor would depend on their mass and velocity, which can vary depending on factors such as their movement and speed.

5. What is the total kinetic energy of the platform?

The total kinetic energy of the platform would depend on its mass and velocity, which can vary depending on factors such as its movement and speed.