What is the total capacitance for the RC circuit lab problem with given data?

In summary, the conversation was about a RC circuit lab where the actual resistance was measured to be 1000Ω and the function generator had a resistance of 50Ω and a frequency of 1.4Hz. The resistors used were 41uF for C1 and 22uF for C2, and the task was to find the values of C1 and C2 and use them to calculate the total capacitance for series/parallel. The data provided included the half-life of C1, C2, and the series and parallel combinations. Using the equation C = (t 1/2)/ Rln2, C1 was found to be 3.46E-5 and C2 was
xswtxoj

Homework Statement

I did the RC circuit lab
I measure the actual resistance of 1000Ω
Function Generator Resistance: 50 Ω
Function Generator Frequency: 1.4Hz

resistor used was 41uF in C1
Resistor used was 22uf for c2

So i have to find c1, c2 and use c1,c2 to calc. the total capacitance for series/parallel

Data:
Half Life:
C1: 1.200 milli sec
C2: 0.600 milli sec
Series C1, C2: 1.400 millisec
Parallel C1,C2: 2.000 millisec

Homework Equations

C= (t 1/2)/ Rln2

The Attempt at a Solution

C1: ( 1.200e-3)/ 50Ω * ln2 = 3.46E-5
C2: (.600 e-3)/ 50Ω* ln2= 1.73e-5

for parallel/ series capacitors, I'm not sure where to continue.

is it add up the c1 and c2 and that's my series capacitance? and 1/c1 +1/c2= my parallel capacitance?

Physics news on Phys.org

Use c = c1+c2 if they are in parallel.
Use 1/c = 1/c1 + 1/c2 if they are in series.

once i used my solve individual C's to solve in the series/ parallel then I'm done right?

Related to What is the total capacitance for the RC circuit lab problem with given data?

What is an RC circuit?

An RC circuit is an electrical circuit that consists of a resistor (R) and a capacitor (C) connected in series. It is used to control the flow of electric current and can be found in many electronic devices.

What is the purpose of performing an RC circuit lab?

The purpose of performing an RC circuit lab is to study the behavior of the circuit and understand how the resistor and capacitor interact with each other. This can help in designing and analyzing more complex circuits, as well as in troubleshooting issues with existing circuits.

What are the components of an RC circuit lab problem?

The components of an RC circuit lab problem typically include a resistor, a capacitor, a power source, wires, and a multimeter. The resistor and capacitor values may vary depending on the specific problem being studied.

How do you calculate the time constant of an RC circuit?

The time constant of an RC circuit is calculated by multiplying the resistance (R) in ohms by the capacitance (C) in farads. It is represented by the symbol τ and is measured in seconds. The formula for calculating the time constant is τ = RC.

What factors can affect the behavior of an RC circuit?

The behavior of an RC circuit can be affected by various factors such as the values of the resistor and capacitor, the voltage of the power source, the type of material used for the components, and environmental factors like temperature and humidity. Any changes in these factors can alter the performance of the circuit.