What is the torque needed to open a 2000kg door?

• Thread starter steve_5959
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Torque
In summary, to open a door that weighs 2000kg and is 3m wide and 4m high, with negligible friction, the torque required is 2000(1.5)(9.81). To find the angular velocity and acceleration, Newton's laws for linear motion can be applied. The angular acceleration is equal to the change in angle over the change in time. If any assistance is needed, please let me know.
steve_5959
My door is 2000kg, it is 3m wide, 4m high and is on a hinge. for the moment i am saying that friction is negligable. How much torque is required to open my door. I have already said that the torque needed to open the door is acting through the C.O.G so it is 2000(1.5)(9.81), i don't know if that is correct though, please help :) If I can find this then I can find out the angular velocity and acceleration

Engineering news on Phys.org
If friction is negligible and the door hinges are perfectly aligned, then any amount of torque will open the door.

How fast do you want the door to open?

want door to open in ten seconds.

You could apply the angular equal of Newton's laws for linear motion:

F = ma
torque = moment of inertia X angular acceleration
angular acceleration = change in angle / change in time.

Let me know if you need any help with this.

Related to What is the torque needed to open a 2000kg door?

What is torque?

Torque is a measure of the twisting force that is required to cause an object to rotate or turn.

How is torque measured?

Torque is typically measured in units of newton-meters (Nm) or foot-pounds (ft-lb).

What factors affect the torque needed to open a door?

The torque needed to open a door can be affected by several factors, including the weight and size of the door, the type and condition of the hinges, and the force needed to overcome any friction or resistance in the door's mechanism.

How can I calculate the torque needed to open a door?

To calculate the torque needed to open a door, you will need to know the weight and dimensions of the door, the type and condition of the hinges, and the force needed to overcome any friction or resistance in the door's mechanism. With this information, you can use the formula: torque = force x distance. The distance is the distance from the hinge to the point where the force is applied.

Why is understanding the torque needed to open a door important?

Understanding the torque needed to open a door is important for designing and installing doors that are easy to open and close, as well as for ensuring the safety and accessibility of doors for all individuals. It can also help with troubleshooting and maintenance of doors that are difficult to open or close.