What is the torque exerted by the malfunctioning thruster on the Jupiter 6?

In summary, the conversation discusses a giant spaceship named Jupiter 6 that rotates around its center to generate artificial gravity. One of its thruster rockets malfunctions and the conversation focuses on finding the torque exerted by the thruster around the center of the ship. The attempt at a solution involves using equations for moment of inertia, torque, and angular acceleration, and realizing that the direction of the thruster force changes since it is attached to the ship. The correct torque is found to be 8.445*10^11 Nm j.
Zyrn

Homework Statement

http://spiff.rit.edu/webwork2_course_files/phys216/tmp/gif/set24-prob2-./giant_saucer.gif

The Jupiter 6 is a giant spaceship in the shape of a big, flat disk: it has radius R=5000 m, height h=200 m, and mass M=8.00E+08 kg. As it flies through space, it rotates around its center with a period of P=200 seconds to generate artificial gravity. The rotation looks counter-clockwise as seen from above the ship (if you can't tell from the diagram).

One day, one of the outboard thruster rockets malfuctions. It is located at the point marked with a big black dot on the diagram, on the outer rim of the ship, an angular distance theta=30 degrees away from the x-axis. The thruster exerts a force with components 78i+0j−150k mega-Newtons for a duration of t=2 seconds before the technicians can disable it.

What is the torque exerted around the center of the ship by the thruster?

Homework Equations

I=(1/2)MR^2
τ=R×F
Δθ=ωt+(1/2)αt^2
α=τ/I

The Attempt at a Solution

R=5000m
M=8*10^8kg
ω=(2π)/(200s)
F=(78i+0j−150k)MN

I=(1/2)(8*10^8kg)(5000m)^2=1*10^16kgm^2
R_x=Rcosθ
R_z=Rsinθ
τ=(150MN(5000m)cosθ+78MN(5000m)sinθ)j (using matrix)

α=(150MN(5000m)cosθ+78MN(5000m)sinθ)/(1*10^16kgm^2)
θ=((2π)/(200s))2s+(1/2)((150MN(5000m)cosθ+78MN(5000m)sinθ)/(1*10^16kgm^2))(2s)^2

I'm not entirely sure what to do at this point. I tried graphing to get θ, then plugging it into the equation for τ multiple ways. Integrating from .5236 (which came from the 30°) to .5236-θ, taking the difference of the value of τ when plugging in .5236 and .5236-θ, just plugging in θ. I'm stuck of what to do and any input would help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I might have just figured out how I was going about it incorrectly. Rather than having the thruster force always in the same direction, it would be changing since it's attached to the ship. I'm going to try it that way.

Yeah. That was it. Can't believe I didn't realize that sooner.
τ=8.445*10^11 Nm j

Related to What is the torque exerted by the malfunctioning thruster on the Jupiter 6?

What is torque from a thruster?

Torque from a thruster is the force that causes a rotation or twisting motion. In the context of a thruster, it refers to the rotational force produced by the thrust of an engine or propeller.

How is torque from a thruster measured?

Torque from a thruster is typically measured in units of force times distance, such as newton-meters or pound-feet. It can also be measured in units of power, such as horsepower or kilowatts.

What factors affect the amount of torque produced by a thruster?

The amount of torque produced by a thruster depends on a variety of factors, including the size and shape of the propeller, the speed and direction of rotation, the power of the engine, and the density and viscosity of the surrounding fluid.

How is torque from a thruster used in space exploration?

Torque from a thruster is a crucial component of spacecraft propulsion systems. It is used to change the orientation and position of a spacecraft, as well as control its speed and direction of travel.

What are the practical applications of understanding torque from a thruster?

Understanding torque from a thruster is important in a wide range of industries, including aerospace, marine, and automotive. It is also essential for designing and operating various types of machinery and equipment, such as turbines, pumps, and motors.