What is the Thevinin's equivalent resistance in a series RLC circuit?

In summary: Capacitor and Inductor" are connected to the same node in the circuit, then the resistance is the Thevenin's equivalent resistance.
tete9000
hey guys, i was just wondering, in a series RLC circuit, is "R" the Thevinin's equivalent resistance at the "Capacitor and Inductor" terminals?, if not please correct me. Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
tete9000 said:
hey guys, i was just wondering, in a series RLC circuit, is "R" the Thevinin's equivalent resistance at the "Capacitor and Inductor" terminals?, if not please correct me. Thanks.

Usually a series RLC circuit has all three components -- an R, an L and a C. In intro classes, these ae usually assumed to be ideal, so the C has no parasitic L or R, etc.

Hi berkeman, sorry if my question isn't well-clarified, what i meant is "When solving for V(t) or I(t) of an RLC circuit (series or parallel), the resistance in the circuit is taken to be the Thevenin's equivalent resistance at the terminals of both "the Capacitor and Inductor"?I'm not sure if this is right...so I'm asking you guys?is this right?if not please correct me.

tete9000 said:
Hi berkeman, sorry if my question isn't well-clarified, what i meant is "When solving for V(t) or I(t) of an RLC circuit (series or parallel), the resistance in the circuit is taken to be the Thevenin's equivalent resistance at the terminals of both "the Capacitor and Inductor"?I'm not sure if this is right...so I'm asking you guys?is this right?if not please correct me.

Sorry that I'm not understanding the question. An ideal capacitor has infinite resistance, and an ideal inductor has zero resistance. Are you asking about the full complex impedance of the series combination of the R, L and C?

berkeman said:
Sorry that I'm not understanding the question. An ideal capacitor has infinite resistance, and an ideal inductor has zero resistance. Are you asking about the full complex impedance of the series combination of the R, L and C?

exactly...i meant the series combination of a Resistor, Capacitor, and Inductor.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/4e/RLC_series_circuit.png

tete9000,

I think what you are asking is: "Does the R include R + ESR + RL? And then solve for Z = Rtotal + ZC + ZL" The simple answer to that is: "Not generally". In physics and Electronics 101, the reactive components are generally assumed to be "IDEAL", unless otherwise noted. In engineering the real-world properties of each component are evaluated and the circuit is designed to work within tolerances for each component; in general no component's properties are intentionally rated in combination with another component's, though the circuit design certainly takes these properties into account.

For instance here:

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electric/rlcser.html

The components R & C & L are assumed to be "ideal", and the impedance is given by:

Z = ((R^2 + (ZL - ZC)^2)^1/2

The phase angle is given by:

Pa = arctan((ZL - Zc)/R)

In the real world, all resistors have some inductance, all inductors have some resistance, all capacitors have some inductance, etc, etc. In many cases the parasitic inductance/resistance/capacitance of the various components can be ignored, but in many other cases ignoring them can lead to a failed design.

Even in fairly simply circuits keeping track of the phase and impedance can get tricky and very time consuming, so modeling circuits in a software environment is now a very routine part of the design process. Typical enterprise level schematic capture software include parameters for numerous parasitic elements in the PCB itself, frequently defined by the engineering team on a per-trace basis.

I hope this helps.

Fish

Thevenin equivalent resistance, across the capacitor or inductor, is used to find the time constant in first-order circuits when using the step-by-step approach, though, it maybe found without it as well I think. In second-order circuits I don't think Thevenin equivalent resistance is necessarily required to find anything.

Well, i didn't mean "Impedance and Phase". As a matter of fact, these are the subject of the next chapter in my course of "Circuit Theory".

saim,

Maybe you don't need to find "R" when using the General Way of finding responses, that is, by obtaining the differential equation from scratch, but here I'm talking about the particular cases of Series and Parallel of RLC Circuits.

When solving for the V(t), or I(t) in RLC circuits, you need to find the damping factor (alpha) which is (R/2L) for a series RLC, and (1/2RC) for a parallel RLC, my question is: this "R" that's required for alpha, Is it the Thevenin's equivalent resistance at the "Capacitor and Inductor terminals"?

Last edited:
tete9000 said:
Hi berkeman, sorry if my question isn't well-clarified, what i meant is "When solving for V(t) or I(t) of an RLC circuit (series or parallel), the resistance in the circuit is taken to be the Thevenin's equivalent resistance at the terminals of both "the Capacitor and Inductor"?

if you're want to model a source as having a real thevenin impedance, sure, you can team up the series R with the V or the parallel G (or 1/R) with the I. fine. but you are deciding which of those components to team up with the source.

it is the case that you can team up the thevenin resistance (the real part) with the series R or the real part of the norton conductance with the parallel G.

@tete9000: We never learned any separate methods for series and parallel RLCs; we just figure out the diff.eq for the circuit and solve. However, in an sample problem I have before me, which solves parallel RLC, the damping factor is found to be 0.5RC, as you said and in case of series RLC its is R/(2L). In general, for the case of parallel circuit I guess we can always find out the sum of the resistors and that would be the R that would be used for the damping factor. In case of series RLC, well, if all the resistors are in a single series we would add them and use them in this formula but if there do not form a single series I don't know what would be the general R for damping ratio; maybe Thevenin equivalent, maybe not. I'm sure you can write an equation and solve it to find out the general R for this case as well.

Related to What is the Thevinin's equivalent resistance in a series RLC circuit?

1. What is an RLC circuit?

An RLC circuit is an electrical circuit that contains a resistor (R), inductor (L), and capacitor (C) connected in series. It is also known as a resonant circuit because it can exhibit resonance at a specific frequency.

2. How does an RLC circuit work?

In an RLC circuit, the resistor dissipates energy in the form of heat, the inductor stores energy in its magnetic field, and the capacitor stores energy in its electric field. When an alternating current (AC) is applied to the circuit, the inductor and capacitor will exchange energy back and forth, creating oscillations. The resistor will dampen these oscillations, resulting in a steady state response at the resonant frequency.

3. What is the resonant frequency of an RLC circuit?

The resonant frequency of an RLC circuit is the frequency at which the inductive reactance and capacitive reactance cancel each other out, resulting in the highest current flow through the circuit. It can be calculated using the formula: f = 1/2π√(LC), where f is the resonant frequency, L is the inductance, and C is the capacitance.

4. What is the quality factor (Q) of an RLC circuit?

The quality factor (Q) of an RLC circuit is a measure of the circuit's efficiency in storing and dissipating energy. It is calculated by dividing the reactance of the inductor or capacitor by the resistance of the circuit. A higher Q value indicates a more efficient circuit and a sharper resonant peak.

5. How is an RLC circuit used in real-world applications?

RLC circuits have many practical applications, such as in radio and television receivers, signal amplifiers, and filters. They are also used in power transmission systems, where they help improve power factor and reduce harmonics. Additionally, RLC circuits are used in electronic devices such as speakers, microphones, and electronic filters.