What is the theory behind analytical continuations?

• Thread starter Alamino
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Analytical
In summary, Analytical continuations are widely used in physics and mathematics for calculating integrals, but there is no general theory for them. However, one can find treatments of analytical continuations in books on complex analysis, such as Hille's Analytic Function Theory or Cartan's Analytic Functions of One and Several Complex Variables, as well as in George Mackey's Harvard notes. The basic question is about extending a complex power series into a connected open set U, and the extension may or may not exist and may or may not be unique. If U is simply connected, there is at most one extension, but if it is not, there may be multiple extensions. If there is a unique extension into every simply connected subset of U
Alamino
Is there any treatment of a general character about analytical continuations? They're largely used in physics and in a lot of mathematical tricks for calculate integrals, but I have never seen a general theory? Where can I find it?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Any good book on complex analysis should contain a treatment of it. Alternately look at Beardon's web page at dpmms.cam.ac.uk for any lecture notes he may have. It might also help googling for Riemann surfaces, or the Riemann mapping theorem as they are basically about analytic continuation across boundaries, albeit in a more advanced way than you may need. Try googling for reflection principle too.

a good book is hille's analytic function theory, or cartan's analytic functions of one and several complex variables. also george mackey's harvard notes on complex variables. I think I know something about it too, but I don't feel like writing you a text right now. if you ask a question i will try to answer.

the basic question is to take a complex power series converging in a disc, and consider a connected open set U containing that disc, and then ask for an extension into U, of the analytic function defined in the disc by the power series. it may or may not exist and may or may not be unique.

If the connected set U is also "simply connected" which means it contains no loops that encircle points outside the set, then there is at most one extension to the whole set U.

as a "counterexample" to uniqueness, the complement U of the origin is not simply connected, since it contains a loop, namely the unit circle that encircles the origin, which is outside the set. The power series for ln(z) which converges in the unit disc centered at z=1, has no analytic extension into the entire set U, but has exactly one such extension into any set of form "U minus a ray extending from the origin to infinity".

If U is a connected open set, and if there exists a (unique) analytic extension of your function into every simply connected (open) subset of U, then in fact there is a maximal analytic extension, not into any subset of the plane, but rather into a simply connected "covering" of the set U.

This topic, Riemann surfaces, was the subject of a groundbreaking book by the famous Hermann Weyl, also known for his work on group representations.

I hope I have not said anything false.

Related to What is the theory behind analytical continuations?

1. What is an analytical continuation?

An analytical continuation is a mathematical technique used to extend the domain of a given function beyond its original definition by using complex analysis. It allows for the calculation of values of a function at points where it is not explicitly defined.

2. How does analytical continuation work?

Analytical continuation works by using the concept of a branch cut, which is a curve that separates the domain of a function into different regions. By choosing a suitable branch cut and integrating along a path that avoids the branch cut, a function can be extended to other parts of the complex plane.

3. What are some applications of analytical continuation?

Analytical continuation has various applications in physics and engineering, such as in quantum mechanics and electromagnetism. It is also used in number theory, where it can help solve problems related to the distribution of prime numbers.

4. What are some limitations of analytical continuation?

One limitation of analytical continuation is that it is not always possible to extend a function to the entire complex plane. Additionally, the extended function may not be unique, as there can be multiple different ways to continue a given function. It also relies on the function being well-behaved and having known properties.

5. Are there any alternatives to analytical continuation?

Yes, there are alternative methods for extending the domain of a function, such as the method of conformal mapping and the method of analytic continuation using power series. However, analytical continuation is often preferred due to its simplicity and effectiveness in many cases.