What is the theory and application for damping

In summary, the theory and application for damping, specifically in the context of vibration and motion, is a complex and extensive topic that cannot be summarized in a few sentences. It involves understanding the various types of damping and their effects on different systems, as well as techniques for measuring and estimating damping coefficients. It is recommended to take a class or do further research for a more comprehensive understanding.
aries
what is the theory and application for damping:confused:

Engineering news on Phys.org
Are you talking about vibration dampening?

aries said:
what is the theory and application for damping:confused:

Motion damping?

I love how random people come into the ME forum and ask the most general and unrealistic questions lately :rolleyes:.

Suppose we should give him vibrations v1.0, eh Fred?

It does seem to come in waves, doesn't it? (get it?...waves...)

Some people don't really know how to ask the right questions. I think I would rather have someone ask questions like this than others where someone comes in and announces just how brilliant they are with their new ideas that no one has ever thought of and how incredibly easy it would be to implement when there is no basis in reality.

Sometimes I think I need Vibrations for Dummys.

When I was doing mechanical experiments, I used modal impact tests to find external spring and damping coefficients for my rig. (Formulas can also be found for, eg., shafts.)

However, viscous damping of internal components was impossible to estimate.

In the end, my experiment turned into a form of measuring this coefficient from the observable dynamics at different parameter values.

ya, i want to the theory behide vibration dumping:-p

aries said:
ya, i want to the theory behide vibration dumping:-p

Um, do you even know what you're asking? :confused:

This is a huge, complex topic and can't be described in a couple of sentences. Time to take a class...

Related to What is the theory and application for damping

1. What is damping and why is it important in scientific research?

Damping is a phenomenon that describes the dissipation of energy in a system over time. In scientific research, damping is important because it helps us understand how energy is transferred and dissipated within a system. This can help us predict and control the behavior of complex systems.

2. What is the difference between viscous and structural damping?

Viscous damping refers to the dissipation of energy due to the internal friction within a material, while structural damping is caused by the deformation and internal motion of a structure. In other words, viscous damping is a property of the material itself, while structural damping is a property of the structure as a whole.

3. How is damping used in engineering and design?

In engineering and design, damping is used to reduce or control the vibrations and oscillations within a system. This is important in structures such as bridges and buildings, where excessive vibrations can cause damage. Damping is also used in the design of mechanical systems to improve their stability and performance.

4. What are some common methods for measuring damping?

Some common methods for measuring damping include the logarithmic decrement method, the half-power bandwidth method, and the forced vibration method. These methods involve measuring the amplitude and frequency of a system's oscillations to determine the damping ratio, which is a measure of the level of damping present in the system.

5. How does damping affect the response of a system to external forces?

Damping can affect the response of a system to external forces in several ways. It can decrease the amplitude of the system's oscillations, reducing the overall energy in the system. It can also change the frequency of the system's oscillations, which can have implications for the system's stability and performance. Additionally, damping can introduce a phase shift in the system's response, which can alter its behavior in relation to the external forces acting on it.