What is the Theorem regarding the number of polynomial zeros modulo p and H?

In summary, the theorem states that for a prime number p and polynomials P and H, where H is irreducible modulo p and P has a degree of d modulo p, P can have at most d polynomial zeros that are pairwise not congruent modulo p and H. This means that the remainders of dividing P and H by p must be different for each polynomial zero of P. Additionally, two polynomials P and Q are congruent modulo (p,H) if their division by H results in the same remainder.
Kontilera
Hello I am currently learning some of the basics of number theory, and struggling to understand this Theorem. Could someone please explain it with maby a simple example? :)

THRM:(Number of polynomial zero mod p and H)
Let p be a prime number and let H be a polynomial that is irruducible modulo p. Furthermore let P be a polynomial that has degree d>=0 modulo p. Then P has at most d polynomial zeros that are pairwise not congruent modulo p and H.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Kontilera said:
Then P has at most d polynomial zeros that are pairwise not congruent modulo p and H.
What does the part in bold mean?
I understand what "congruent mod p" means, but I don't understand what "congruent mod p and H" means.

okey, i will explain with an example. say P=X^2 and Q=2X^3+X-2, and p=3, dividing P by H we obtain a rest of +4.
Then dividing Q by H we obtain a rest of -5.
+4 is congurent to +1 mod 3, and -5 is congurent with +1 mod 3.
We now say that the polynomials P is congurent to Q mod(p,H). Because they have the same remainders when dividing by H mod n.

Kontilera said:
okey, i will explain with an example. say P=X^2 and Q=2X^3+X-2, and p=3, dividing P by H we obtain a rest of +4.
You haven't said what H is.
Kontilera said:
Then dividing Q by H we obtain a rest of -5.
+4 is congurent to +1 mod 3, and -5 is congurent with +1 mod 3.
We now say that the polynomials P is congurent to Q mod(p,H). Because they have the same remainders when dividing by H mod n.

srry!
H is an non-constant polynomial whoose leading coeff is coprime to n.

May I summarize:
We have a prime ##p## and polynomials ##P(x), H(x) ∈ ℤ[x]## where ##\deg P = d ## and ##H[x] \mod p ## is irreducible in ##Z_p[x]##.
Then ##d \mod p ≥ 0##. But this is always the case.
Now we have to show that ##P(x)## has at most ##d## zeros ##\{x_1,...,x_d\}## in ##ℤ## or in ##ℤ_p##?
Or did you mean ## \{ x-x_1,...,x-x_d \} ## as "polynomial zeros"?

Those are pairwise incongruent "modulo ##(p,H)##" which you defined as follows:
Two polynomials ##P(x),Q(x) ∈ ℤ[x]## are congruent modulo ##(p,H)## if ##\frac{P}{H} = \frac{Q}{H} \mod n##.
I suppose ##n=p##? Or ##n=d##? And the division of the polynomials is performed in which Ring? Or shall we divide ##\frac{P(x_i)}{H(x_i)}##?

Related to What is the Theorem regarding the number of polynomial zeros modulo p and H?

1. What is number theory?

Number theory is a branch of mathematics that studies the properties and relationships of integers. It involves understanding patterns and structures within the set of whole numbers, and using these insights to solve problems and make predictions.

2. What are prime numbers?

Prime numbers are numbers that can only be divided by 1 and themselves. They are the building blocks of all other numbers, and play a crucial role in many number theory concepts and applications.

3. What is the difference between odd and even numbers?

Odd numbers are integers that cannot be divided evenly by 2, while even numbers can. This results in odd numbers having a remainder of 1 when divided by 2, while even numbers have a remainder of 0.

4. How are numbers classified in number theory?

In number theory, numbers can be classified into different categories based on their properties. Some common classifications include prime numbers, composite numbers, perfect numbers, and abundant numbers.

5. What are some real-world applications of number theory?

Number theory has many practical applications, such as in cryptography, coding theory, and computer science. It is also used in various fields of science, including physics and chemistry, to model and understand complex systems.