What is the Terminal Velocity of a Skydiver with Given Parameters?

In summary, the problem involves finding the terminal velocity of an object using the equations D= 1/2 C p A v^2 and bv=mg. The person spent 3 hours on the problem and is confused. They know that at terminal velocity, bv=mg, and solve for v using the equation v=sqrt((2mg)/(CpA)). They then input the given values, m: 84kg, C: 0.8, p: 1.2kgm^3, and A: 987cm^2, but may have forgotten to convert the area to m^2, resulting in a small velocity of 1.38m/s.
newbe318

Homework Statement

I attached a screen shot of the problem.
Screen Shot 2015-10-14 at 9.40.16 PM.png

Homework Equations

D= 1/2 C p A v^2
bv=mg

The Attempt at a Solution

I spent 3 long hours on this problem. I confused myself even more. Please help me understand what is going on.

Physics news on Phys.org
Please show your best attempt with reasoning.

I know that at terminal velocity, bv=mg ... so, mg=1/2CpAv^2.. would I just solve for v? .. v=sqrt((2mg)/(CpA))... v=1.38m/s ?
m: 84kg
C: 0.8
p: 1.2kgm^3
A: 987cm^2

newbe318 said:
I know that at terminal velocity, bv=mg ... so, mg=1/2CpAv^2.. would I just solve for v? .. v=sqrt((2mg)/(CpA))... v=1.38m/s ?
m: 84kg
C: 0.8
p: 1.2kgm^3
A: 987cm^2
That's the right approach, but I don't understand how you get such a small velocity. Did you forget to convert the area to m2?

Related to What is the Terminal Velocity of a Skydiver with Given Parameters?

1. What is terminal speed for a skydiver?

Terminal speed, also known as terminal velocity, is the maximum speed that a falling object, such as a skydiver, can reach when the force of gravity is balanced by the drag force of the surrounding air.

2. How is terminal speed calculated for a skydiver?

Terminal speed can be calculated by using the equation: Vt = √(2mg/ρACd), where Vt is terminal speed, m is the mass of the skydiver, g is the acceleration due to gravity, ρ is the density of the air, A is the cross-sectional area of the skydiver, and Cd is the drag coefficient.

3. What factors affect the terminal speed of a skydiver?

The terminal speed of a skydiver can be affected by various factors such as the mass and size of the skydiver, the density and viscosity of the air, and the force of gravity. Other factors that can have an impact include the shape and orientation of the skydiver, as well as the presence of any external forces such as wind.

4. Why is it important for a skydiver to reach terminal speed?

Reaching terminal speed is important for a skydiver because it allows them to experience a smooth descent due to the balanced forces of gravity and air resistance. It also ensures that they do not accelerate to dangerous speeds that could result in injury or harm.

5. Can a skydiver change their terminal speed?

Yes, a skydiver can change their terminal speed by altering their body position or by using a parachute. By changing their body position, they can increase or decrease their surface area, which affects the drag force. Using a parachute increases the surface area and therefore increases the drag force, causing the skydiver to slow down and reach a lower terminal speed.