What is the term for the argument in a logarithm function?

In summary, the conversation discussed the terminology for the value b in the equation log a b = c, with the base a and exponent c. The term "argument" was mentioned as a possible name for b, although it was not explicitly stated on the webpage provided as a source. The conversation also questioned the name for c in the equation ab = c, with the suggestion of "power" although it may not be the correct term.
swampwiz
If I have log a b = c, what is the term for the value b? I know that a is the base and c is the exponent, but I can't think of what b is called! While I am at it, in ab = c, what exactly is c called? The power? Would that make b from the previous example the power as well? I have a feeling that it is not called power since power is sometimes used for exponent.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Here, let me google that for you:

http://www.themathpage.com/alg/logarithms.htm"

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't see anywhere on that page that it answers swampwiz's question.

Swampwiz, the only term I have ever heard used is exactly what you use- the "argument" of the logarithm.

Hhhhmmm...oops, I guess you're right...they do mention the other two terms and their names, but not exactly that one...my mistake.

The term for the value b in a logarithm function is the argument or input. In the equation log a b = c, b is the argument or input that is being raised to the power of c. In the equation ab = c, c is called the power or exponent, while b is still considered the argument or input. It is important to note that the term "power" can be used interchangeably with "exponent" in some cases, but in this context, it specifically refers to the value that the argument is being raised to.

Related to What is the term for the argument in a logarithm function?

1. What is the definition of logarithm function?

A logarithm function is a mathematical function that represents the inverse of an exponential function. It is used to solve equations involving exponents and to convert numbers from one scale to another.

2. What is the purpose of logarithm function?

The main purpose of logarithm function is to simplify complex calculations involving multiplication and division into simpler addition and subtraction operations. It also helps in converting large numbers into more manageable values.

3. What is the base of a logarithm function?

The base of a logarithm function is the number that is raised to a power in the exponent. For example, in the logarithm function log2 (8), 2 is the base.

4. What is the argument in a logarithm function?

The argument in a logarithm function is the input value or number that is being raised to a power. In the logarithm function log2 (8), 8 is the argument.

5. What are the properties of logarithm function?

The properties of logarithm function include the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, and change of base rule. These properties help in solving logarithmic equations and simplifying calculations involving logarithms.