What is the tension on a string wrapped around a pulley?

In summary, the conversation discusses a physics homework problem involving tensions on a pulley and the need to solve for acceleration before working on the first part of the problem. The given distance between the masses is deemed irrelevant and one of the labeled measurements is questioned as possibly being irrelevant as well.
uncletammy

Homework Statement

[PLAIN]http://nicholascrumrine.net/otherpics/physics/HW4_6.jpg

Homework Equations

Sum(F)=MA

w=v/r

The Attempt at a Solution

My assumptions are as follows:
The sum of the tensions on the left side of the pulley is equal to the tension in right side of the pulley
The given distance between the 2kg and 10kg masses is irrelevant and not needed.

I feel like I need to solve for the acceleration of the system before I can work the first part of the problem. Also, I don't know what is being labeled as 24.8cm and whether it is relevant. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
uncletammy said:
My assumptions are as follows:
The sum of the tensions on the left side of the pulley is equal to the tension in right side of the pulley
No, that's not correct. (Why the sum?)
The given distance between the 2kg and 10kg masses is irrelevant and not needed.
Good.
I feel like I need to solve for the acceleration of the system before I can work the first part of the problem.
Sounds good to me.
Also, I don't know what is being labeled as 24.8cm and whether it is relevant.
Good question. Looks like this same diagram might correspond to several problems. Ignore that bit of data.

Related to What is the tension on a string wrapped around a pulley?

1. What is tension in a string on a pulley?

Tension in a string on a pulley refers to the force exerted by the string on the pulley as a result of an applied load or weight. This tension is responsible for keeping the string in place and allowing the pulley to rotate.

2. How is tension in a string on a pulley calculated?

The tension in a string on a pulley can be calculated using the equation T = W + F, where T is the tension, W is the weight of the load, and F is the force applied to the string. This equation takes into account the weight of the load being lifted and the force required to overcome any friction or resistance in the pulley system.

3. What factors affect tension in a string on a pulley?

The tension in a string on a pulley can be affected by several factors, including the weight of the load, the angle of the string, and the coefficient of friction between the string and the pulley. The type and condition of the string and pulley also play a role in determining tension.

4. How does tension in a string on a pulley impact the overall system?

Tension in a string on a pulley is crucial in ensuring the stability and efficiency of the pulley system. If the tension is too low, the load may not be lifted properly, and if it is too high, the string or pulley may break. Proper tension ensures smooth movement and proper distribution of weight.

5. Can tension in a string on a pulley be increased or decreased?

Yes, tension in a string on a pulley can be increased or decreased by adjusting the weight of the load or the force applied to the string. The type and condition of the string and pulley can also be modified to affect the tension. However, it is important to note that there is a maximum tension that the string and pulley can handle, and exceeding this limit can result in damage or failure of the system.