What is the tension in the string?

In summary, the forces acting on blocks A and B are FA = (15 N) i and FB = (24 N) i, respectively, with masses 5.0 kg and 6.0 kg. Using Newton's second law, we can find that the tension in the string connecting the blocks is 17.7 N. However, there seems to be a discrepancy in this calculation, as the acceleration of both blocks should be the same since they are connected by the string. Further investigation is needed to determine the cause of this difference in acceleration.
cgarr017
forces act on blocks A and B, which are connected by a string. Force FA = (15 N) i acts on block A, with mass 5.0 kg. Force FB = (24 N) i acts on block B, with mass 6.0 kg. What is the tension in the string?

Fa Fb
-> ->
[A]----->

F=ma
(15N+24N)=(5.0kg+6.0kg)(a)
39=11a
3.54=a

F=ma
F=5(3.54)
F=17.7 X wrong
what am i doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Why would there be a difference in acceleration between the two blocks? If that were the case the string would either have slack or break.

cgarr017 said:
forces act on blocks A and B, which are connected by a string. Force FA = (15 N) i acts on block A, with mass 5.0 kg. Force FB = (24 N) i acts on block B, with mass 6.0 kg. What is the tension in the string?

Fa Fb
-> ->
[A]----->

F=ma
(15N+24N)=(5.0kg+6.0kg)(a)
39=11a
3.54=a

F=ma
F=5(3.54)
F=17.7 X wrong
what am i doing wrong?

You found that F=17.7, but what does F in this equation stand for?

Related to What is the tension in the string?

What is the concept of "Two Forces, Two Blocks"?

The concept of "Two Forces, Two Blocks" is a physics problem that involves two blocks connected by a string or rope. Each block has a different mass and is subject to two forces: tension from the string and a gravitational force.

How do you solve a "Two Forces, Two Blocks" problem?

The first step in solving a "Two Forces, Two Blocks" problem is to draw a free-body diagram, which shows all the forces acting on each block. Then, you can use Newton's Second Law of Motion (F=ma) to calculate the acceleration of each block. Finally, you can use this acceleration to solve for the tension in the string and the movement of the blocks.

What are the assumptions made in a "Two Forces, Two Blocks" problem?

The assumptions made in a "Two Forces, Two Blocks" problem include: the string or rope is massless and does not stretch, the blocks are rigid and do not deform, and there is no friction or air resistance present.

Can the "Two Forces, Two Blocks" concept be applied to real-world situations?

Yes, the "Two Forces, Two Blocks" concept can be applied to real-world situations such as a person pulling a sled or a car towing a trailer. However, in these cases, there may be additional factors to consider, such as friction and the distribution of weight in the system.

Are there any common mistakes made when solving a "Two Forces, Two Blocks" problem?

One common mistake when solving a "Two Forces, Two Blocks" problem is to forget to include the weight of each block in the free-body diagram. Another mistake is to use the wrong direction for the tension force, which can result in incorrect calculations. It is also important to remember to use consistent units throughout the problem.