What is the tension in the rope?

In summary: Yes, that looks correct now. The lift force (FUp) is equal to the net upward force (m1a) plus the tension (FT) plus the weight of the helicopter (m1g). Well done!
Theorγ

Homework Statement

A helicopter with mass 15,000 kg is lifting a truck with mass 4,500 kg up in the air with acceleration 1.4 m/s^2. The helicopter lifts using a rope. Calculate the tension of the rope and the net upward force of the helicopter.

m1 = mass of helicopter = 15,000 kg
m2 = mass of truck = 4,500 kg
a net = 1.4 m/s^2
g = -9.8 m/s^2

Homework Equations

F = ma
T = m(a + g)

The Attempt at a Solution

I first calculated normal and weight forces of the two objects, obtaining ±147,000 N for the helicopter and ±44,100 N. I then I tried to calculate the net upward force by subtracting the two opposing forces of the two objects:

Fn1 - Fg2 = 102900 N

The tension I tried to calculate by using the second equation:

T = m(a + g)
T = 4500 *( 1.4 + 9.8)
T = 50,400 N

So now can someone tell me if this is all correct? And also can someone properly explain to me how the tension equation is actually derived, because the main problem I encountered when solving this problem was that I didn't really know how tension was used, and resorted to cheating by using the equation above...

Physics news on Phys.org
Your answer for the tension looks good. As for how to derive that. If you take F=ma and look at all the forces acting on the truck, you have something like this.

T-mg=ma

Bring over the mg, factor out an m and you have T=m(a+g)

For the force on the helicopter, consider for a moment the F=ma formula for the helicopter. What are the forces (be sure to watch your signs)?

So the net upward force is the combination of the helicopter's normal force with normal force of the truck?

Theorγ said:
So now can someone tell me if this is all correct? And also can someone properly explain to me how the tension equation is actually derived, because the main problem I encountered when solving this problem was that I didn't really know how tension was used, and resorted to cheating by using the equation above...

A Free Body Diagram for the truck would be a good place to start. Draw one. It should give the following.

The forces on the truck are:

A. The upward force which the rope exerts on the truck. This is equal to the tension, T.

B. The downward force which gravity exerts on the truck This is equal to m2g.

Thus the net force, Fnet on the truck is, Fnet = T - m2g.

Newton's 2nd Law tells us that Fnet = m2a, the net force on the truck is equal to the mass of the truck, times the acceleration on the truck.

Thus we have:

T - m2g = m2a

Now, solve this for tension, T.

Exactly what he said above ^^^^

When problems get more 2D and 3D, there is almost no way to do it without.

SammyS said:

A Free Body Diagram for the truck would be a good place to start. Draw one. It should give the following.

The forces on the truck are:

A. The upward force which the rope exerts on the truck. This is equal to the tension, T.

B. The downward force which gravity exerts on the truck This is equal to m2g.

Thus the net force, Fnet on the truck is, Fnet = T - m2g.

Newton's 2nd Law tells us that Fnet = m2a, the net force on the truck is equal to the mass of the truck, times the acceleration on the truck.

Thus we have:

T - m2g = m2a

Now, solve this for tension, T.

Oh I'm sorry for not mentioning, but the first guy who posted's response helped me understand the tension part, its just the net upward force that I'm stuck with now.

Can someone tell me if the following forces are correct for the helicopter:
A. The helicopter moves upward with the force m1a
B. The gravitational force is downwards with m1g
C. The tension is directed from downwards denoted by -FT

Are theses all the forces affecting the helicopter?

Ok now you are close.

A. The force I believe you are referring to is the lift force. If so, we are not certain if this is equal to m1a. So instead you could just but that as some single variable.

B. Yes.

C. Yes, which according to Newton's 3rd law, is the T you had already solved for.

So now the sum of all of that is equal to m1a.

So that means that the net upward force is equal to m1a? Which leads to -FT - m1g = m1a = 197400 N?

yup
looks rite to me...

Theorγ said:
So that means that the net upward force is equal to m1a? Which leads to -FT - m1g = m1a = 197400 N?

Your so close. Think about what your equation is saying though. It has a bunch of downward forces. Therefore it would have to be accelerating downward. We know that isn't the case. There is one upward force. The lift force of the helicopter. In fact, that is what you are trying to solve for. The net UPWARD force. You want to know what is the total force acting up. So you are solving for that lift force.

That means there must have been one more force that acted on the helicopters system? Leading to this equation:

-FT - m1g + FUp= m1a
FUp= m1a + FT + m1g
FUp = 218400

Is this correct now?

Related to What is the tension in the rope?

1. What is tension in a rope?

Tension is the force applied to a rope that causes it to stretch or become taut.

2. How is tension measured in a rope?

Tension is typically measured in units of force, such as newtons or pounds, using a tension gauge or dynamometer.

3. What factors affect the tension in a rope?

The tension in a rope is affected by the amount of force applied, the length and diameter of the rope, and the material properties of the rope such as elasticity and strength.

4. How can tension in a rope be increased?

Tension in a rope can be increased by applying a greater force, using a thicker or stronger rope, or reducing the length of the rope.

5. Why is understanding tension in a rope important in various fields of science?

Tension in a rope is important in fields such as engineering, physics, and biomechanics because it affects the behavior and stability of structures, the movement of objects, and the function of biological systems.