What is the tension in strand 4 of a spiderweb supported by four main strands?

• Thread starter steven1495
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tension
In summary, a spider builds its web in a window frame that is lying on the ground. The web is supported by four main strands which have a tension of 9.979615116 mN. The direction of the tension in each strand is in the opposite direction to balance the web.
steven1495

Homework Statement

A spider builds its web in a window frame that is lying on the ground. It is supported by four main strands. Calculate the force of tension in strand 4 assuming the web is stable. The tension s in the other three strands are as follows:
strand 1: 21.00 mN [22.00°E of N]
strand 2: 16.00 mN [66.00°E of S]
strand 3: 18.00 mN [44°W of S]

Homework Equations

I honestly have no idea how to do this, because our teacher never taught it to us, and I need it for my physics exam tomorow

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
it would also be great if you could show all the steps for me

Thanks

You have 4 strands with the tension and direction of each strand.
Your teacher never taught you about tension, so you think you cannot solve the problem. Or he didn't teach you about spider webs??:)

The tension in each strand can be broken down into x and y directions.

solve for forces in x direction to be zero.
Same for the y-direction.

256bits said:
You have 4 strands with the tension and direction of each strand.
Your teacher never taught you about tension, so you think you cannot solve the problem. Or he didn't teach you about spider webs??:)

The tension in each strand can be broken down into x and y directions.

solve for forces in x direction to be zero.
Same for the y-direction.

He didn't mention anything about tension, he even admitted it when someone asked him in front of the class. My friends are saying that they got ‎9.987mN [0.06884° W of S], but I originally got 17.45mN [48.06°W of N], but then redid the question and got 23mN [56°W of N].

If someone could varify what one is right, preferably before 10pm (eastern standard time) because I have an exam tomorow :/

And what does mN stand for?

Thanks

I should mention that after finding the resultant for strands #1, #2, #3, the tension of force in strand #4 would have to be in the opposite direction so as to balance the spider web, but that you already knew.

m stands for milli, as in miilimeter, milliNewton, millilitre, milligram

I get 9.94 mN acting 89.98 West of South

My spider web forces (tension in the strands ) looks like this:

Attachments

• spider.bmp
    24.1 KB · Views: 1,046
Last edited:
My attempt:
Consider the forces acting on the web.
Since the question has not provided the weight of web, it may be negligible.

It is in equilibrium. Net force and torque = 0.
Along x-direction, we have:
S4 sin theta = S1 sin 22 + S2 sin 66 - S3 sin 44 = 9.979615116 mN
Along y-direction, we have
S4 cos theta = S1 cos 22 - (S2 cos 66 + S3 cos 44) = 0.01495825 mN

theta here stands for "(N theta W).

Solving for simple geometry:
S4 = 9.9796 mN (approx.)
theta = 89.9141 (approx.), so direction = N89.9141W.

All angles are in degree measure.

Related to What is the tension in strand 4 of a spiderweb supported by four main strands?

What causes tension in a spiderweb?

Tension in a spiderweb is caused by the elasticity of the silk threads. When a spider pulls on a thread to create a web, the thread stretches and creates tension.

Why is tension important in a spiderweb?

Tension is important in a spiderweb because it allows the web to stay in place and capture prey. Without tension, the web would be loose and unable to effectively trap insects.

Can tension be adjusted in a spiderweb?

Yes, tension in a spiderweb can be adjusted by the spider. Spiders are able to sense the vibrations in their web and can adjust the tension by adding or removing silk threads.

What happens if there is too much tension in a spiderweb?

If there is too much tension in a spiderweb, it can cause the web to break or tear. This can happen if the spider pulls too hard on a thread or if there is a strong force, such as wind, acting on the web.

How does a spider maintain tension in its web?

A spider maintains tension in its web by constantly monitoring and adjusting the tension of the silk threads. They also perform regular maintenance by repairing any damaged threads to ensure the web remains taut.