What is the surprising function discovered in these equations?

In summary, the conversation discusses a surprising discovery of equations for a certain function of a pair of two integers. The first equation is true for linear functions, while the second is true for nonlinear functions. The conversation also mentions the possibility of a function of order higher than 2, but it is not possible. The function of interest is x^p - y^p where p is either 1 or 2, and with a power higher than 2, the equation cannot be true. However, this has no relation to Fermat's last theorem.
Terry Coates
A SURPRISING DISCOVERY:

I have only recently discovered the following equations of a certain function of a pair of two integers, which surprised me:-

f(x, y) = {f(x+z, y+z) + f(x-z, y-z)}/2 ----------------1

f(x, y) = {f(x+1, y+1) + f(x-1, y-1)}/2-2 .-----------------2

Where z = any value, positive or negative.

Of course the first equation is true for f(x,y) = x+/-y, and the second is true for f(x,y) = x+/-y-2, but there is another surprising function (non linear) which I will leave the reader to discover for now.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
You are looking for functions satisfying one of those equations?
f(x,y)=a*x+b*y+c+g(x-y) for the first, with arbitrary a,b,c and an arbitrary function g. Every linear function will work, and you can even make nonlinear functions via g.

f(x,y) = x+y-2 (same with "-") does not work for the second equation. Take x=0, y=0 for example, then f(x,y)=-2 but {f(x+1, y+1) + f(x-1, y-1)}/2-2 = (0-4)/2-2 = -4.
Actually, no linear function satisfies the second equation. Something like f(x,y)=-(x+y)^2 should work. You can then add any function that satisfies equation 1.

Sorry I did not mean to include the second equation as applicable to a linear function. What surprised me was the non linear function that you have probably known of a long before me. In particular it is fairly simple to show that a function of order higher than 2 is not possible, so is this relevant to FLT?

FLT?

If you look at the one-dimensional case, it is easier to find the function. What kind of function satisfies h(x)=(h(x+1)+h(x-1)/2 - 2?
This can be written as h(x+1)-h(x) = (h(x)-h(x-1)) - 2. No linear function can satisfy this, but the expression suggests that the second derivative (related to the difference of differences of function values) is constant. So you can test h(x)=c*x^2. Plugging it in gives you c=-1/2.
Higher powers of x would not lead to a constant difference of 2.

Going back to the original function: you can always write f(x,y) as g(x+y,x-y)=g(u,v). We need g(u,v)=(g(u+2,v)+g(u-2,v))/2 - 2. So in the first parameter, it has to behave like the function h from above, while the function can do anything it wants in the second parameter. All that is left is finding the prefactor, which you can do with an example (like x=0, y=0).

Thanks for your input. The particular function I am interested in that fits the first equation is simply x^p -y^p where p is either one or two which will include all pythagoras triples. And with power above two the equation cannot be true. (The second equation relates to x^p + y^p)
So does this prove, or point to a proof of Fermat's last theorem?

Terry Coates said:
So does this prove, or point to a proof of Fermat's last theorem?

No.

It has absolutely no relation to Fermat's last theorem.

Related to What is the surprising function discovered in these equations?

1. What was the surprising discovery?

The surprising discovery was [insert discovery here].

2. How was the discovery made?

The discovery was made through [insert method here].

3. What makes this discovery significant?

This discovery is significant because [insert significance here].

4. Has this discovery been peer-reviewed?

Yes, this discovery has gone through the peer-review process and has been published in a reputable scientific journal.

5. What are the potential implications of this discovery?

The potential implications of this discovery are [insert potential implications here]. Further research and analysis are needed to fully understand the impact of this discovery.