What is the suitable capacitor value for a three level flying capacitor?

In summary, to calculate the capacitor value for a three-phase flying capacitor with an input of 500 V and resistance of 1K ohm, use the following equation: 2200 µF = capacitance (in µF)8 kHz = switching frequency (in kHz)1 Ω = resistance (in ohms)
JermziePV
Hi All,

I would like to know what is the suitable capacitor value to be used in a three level flying capacitor(three-phase) with the input of voltage = 500V and resistance(load)=1K ohm while the inductance(load)=0.1H and also the switching frequency is 10KHz?

Can someone brief me on how to calculate the capacitor value? Sorry for the troubles,many thanks.:redface:

Engineering news on Phys.org
Sorry --- need more info --- Is this a tripler? Is it feeding 1K in series with 0.1H? What output ripple do you want to maintain.

The output ripple requirements, switching frequency, and load currents generally drive the capacitor size based on the basic relationship between capacitance, current, and voltage.

There are numerous tutorials on the considerations, starting with doublers. For example http://www.analog.com/static/imported-files/tutorials/ptmsect4.pdf

But, maybe you are asking about something else entirely.

Last edited by a moderator:
hereby i attached the waveform picture of npc inverter. here is the parameters that use for npc inveter.
__________________________________________________________________________________
DC Bus Voltage : 500 Vdc
AC Output : 250 V (line-line, rms), 60 Hz, 0.8 power factor (lagging)
Switching Frequency : 8 kHz
Capacitance : 2200 µF
Resistance : 1 Ω
Squirrel-cage Ind. M. : default
Mechanical Load : default
__________________________________________________________________________________

and here is the result that i get from simulation for npc inverter.
The following losses results are obtained from the PSIM simulation:
Diode Conduction Losses : 0236.54 W
Diode Switching Losses : 000.060 W
Diode Total Losses : 0236.60 W
Transistor Conduction Losses : 1868.69 W
Transistor Switching Losses : 0067.90 W
Transistor Total Losses : 1936.60 W
Total Losses per Module : 2173.20 W
Line to neutral voltage : 256 V
Line to line voltage : 499 V
Output current line A : 56.63 A

is it possible for me to get the exact waveform like 3 level npc 3 phase inverter, but using 3 level flying capacitor 3 phase inverter method? what would be the value for the capacitor and others? i also attached the schematic for 3 level flying capacitor 3 phase inverter. what should i put the value for all component?

Attachments

• npc.jpg
    npc.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 593
  • flyingcapacitor.jpg
    flyingcapacitor.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 633
oh btw mr. meBigGuy, flying capacitor is for convert dc to ac, not stepping up voltage. :)

I know nothing about them. Sorry

Likes 1 person
nah, it's okay bro. thank u for ur time! :)

Related to What is the suitable capacitor value for a three level flying capacitor?

1. What is a Three Level Flying Capacitor?

A Three Level Flying Capacitor is a type of capacitor that is used in power electronics. It consists of three separate capacitors connected in a series to create a higher voltage rating than a single capacitor can provide.

2. How does a Three Level Flying Capacitor work?

A Three Level Flying Capacitor works by charging and discharging the three capacitors in sequence, creating a stepped voltage output. This allows for a higher voltage to be achieved without the need for a single, larger capacitor.

3. What are the advantages of using a Three Level Flying Capacitor?

There are several advantages of using a Three Level Flying Capacitor, including a higher voltage output, improved efficiency, and reduced size and weight compared to using a single large capacitor.

4. What are some common applications of Three Level Flying Capacitors?

Three Level Flying Capacitors are commonly used in power electronics systems such as inverters, motor drives, and power supplies. They are also used in renewable energy applications, such as solar and wind power systems.

5. Are there any drawbacks to using a Three Level Flying Capacitor?

One potential drawback of using a Three Level Flying Capacitor is the complexity of the circuit design and control algorithms required. They also may have a higher cost compared to using a single capacitor. Additionally, they may have higher losses due to the switching between the different capacitors.