What is the strongest endothermic reaction involving salt and liquid water?

In summary, the conversation discusses the search for a highly endothermic reaction that can produce a large temperature drop or absorb a significant amount of energy from its surroundings. The desired reaction is a dissolution process of a salt mixed with liquid water, with a preference for a refrigeration idea. However, it is challenging to find such a reaction due to the need for a large entropic factor. The conversation also mentions a commercial product that uses ammonium nitrate salt to achieve cooling, but its enthalpy of solvation is smaller than its enthalpy of crystallization. Other spontaneous endothermic processes such as evaporation are also mentioned, but they have a lower energy absorption rate compared to the desired reaction.
Alistair1992
Hi,

I'm looking for the reaction that produces the largest temperature drop/absorbs the most energy from its surroundings. It needs to be some kind of dissolution process of a salt being mixed with liquid water. I've looked around on the internet, and it seems tricky to search for, and I don't know much about chemistry (being an engineer), so am struggling to calculate it from theory.

Thanks,

Alistair

Chemistry news on Phys.org
I would start with CRC handbook or something similar - I doubt you will find much better choices than those already known and listed.

Thanks. I've looked, and the strongest one I can find absorbs 403J/g from its surroundings. Ideally, I was looking for something over 1000 for a refrigeration idea.

Hard to find highly endothermic reactions, as for spontaneity they need a huge entropic factor (ΔG=ΔH-TΔS > 0). Perhaps something with a gaseous product could work, but simple dissolution doesn't sound likely to me.

There are commercial products available that do this. Ammonium nitrate salt is encapsulated in an inner plastic bag inside a second bag with water. Breaking the inner bag mixes the salt and water, and cools off. This salt has an enthalpy of solvation that is smaller than the enthalpy of crystallization. Many salts (e.g. NaOH) are the opposite -- i.e. they release heat upon dissolution.

c.f. http://www.pleasanton.k12.ca.us/avhsweb/cutter/Chemistry/Portfolio_files/Hot&ColdPacks.pdf

There is a common chemical demonstration where you freeze a flask to a bit of wood, using a reaction between ammonium nitrate and barium hydroxide.

Other spontaneous endothermic processes (evaporation -- think sweat and evapotranspiration)

Last edited by a moderator:
Quantum Defect said:
Ammonium nitrate

325 J/g, three times less than OP asks for.

Related to What is the strongest endothermic reaction involving salt and liquid water?

1. What is an endothermic reaction?

An endothermic reaction is a chemical reaction that absorbs energy from its surroundings, usually in the form of heat. This results in a decrease in temperature of the surroundings.

2. How can you identify a strong endothermic reaction?

A strong endothermic reaction is characterized by a significant decrease in temperature of the surroundings and a large increase in the energy of the products compared to the reactants. This can be observed through temperature measurements or by monitoring the enthalpy change of the reaction.

3. What are some examples of strong endothermic reactions?

Examples of strong endothermic reactions include the reaction between baking soda and vinegar, the melting of ice, and the decomposition of ammonium nitrate. In each of these reactions, energy is absorbed from the surroundings, resulting in a decrease in temperature.

4. What factors affect the strength of an endothermic reaction?

The strength of an endothermic reaction can be affected by factors such as the concentration of reactants, the surface area of reactants, the presence of a catalyst, and the temperature at which the reaction occurs. Generally, increasing the concentration and surface area of reactants, as well as raising the temperature, can lead to a stronger endothermic reaction.

5. How are endothermic reactions used in everyday life?

Endothermic reactions have many practical applications in everyday life. They are commonly used in instant cold packs and sports injury packs, as well as in self-cooling beverage cans. Endothermic reactions are also utilized in some cooking processes, such as freezing and whipping cream. Additionally, endothermic reactions are crucial in regulating the Earth's temperature, as they play a key role in the water cycle and in maintaining a stable climate.