What is the Stone-Cech compactification of a product of Boolean algebras?

In summary, the authors of Kusraev and Kutateladze's book, Boolean Valued Analysis, state that the Stone space of a product of Boolean algebras is the Stone-Cech compactification of the topological sum of the Stone spaces of each individual Boolean algebra. The proof of this assertion involves constructing the Stone-Cech compactification using ultrafilters, which may be unfamiliar to those who are not well-versed in topology. However, with some further research and reference to Marshall Stone's work, the explanation of this concept can be understood.
ShortFive
This is not an exercise from a textbook, but a question regarding a remark in a textbook, so I was not sure if this question belongs here or in the homework section. Forgive me if I have erred.

I was reading Kusraev and Kutateladze, Boolean Valued Analysis. In it, the authors make the remark that the Stone space of a product of a nonempty set, B_a, a in A, of Boolean algebras is the Stone-Cech compactification of the topological sum St(B_a) X {a}, where St(B_a) is the Stone space of each B_a, and the sum is taken over all a in A.

Now, I admit that my topology is rusty, but I am puzzled by this. Can someone point me to a proof of this assertion? I am sure that it is probably some well-known thing that I have forgotten.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, for anyone who has looked at this thread and might be even remotely interested, I think I have more or less worked it out for myself. The key appears to be to construct the Stone-Cech compactification in terms of ultrafilters. I do not recall ever having done it that way before, so it has been a learning experience. In fact, I did not even begin to catch on to this until I started looking at some of Marshall Stone's original work on the subject.

Related to What is the Stone-Cech compactification of a product of Boolean algebras?

1. What is compactification?

Compactification is a mathematical process in which a space is modified in order to make it "smaller" or more manageable. This is often done by adding additional points or dimensions to the space.

2. Why is compactification important in physics?

Compactification is important in physics because it allows us to study and describe phenomena in higher dimensions, which are often necessary for understanding complex physical systems. It also helps us simplify and solve equations by reducing the number of variables.

3. How does compactification relate to string theory?

Compactification plays a crucial role in string theory, as it allows for the existence of extra dimensions beyond the three we perceive in our everyday lives. These extra dimensions are thought to be "compactified" or curled up into tiny spaces, which can help explain the nature of the universe on a microscopic level.

4. Can you give an example of compactification in action?

One example of compactification is the process of mapping a sphere onto a flat plane. The surface of a sphere can be compactified into a two-dimensional space by projecting points from the sphere onto the plane, creating a distorted but equivalent representation of the original shape.

5. What are the potential implications of compactification in future research?

The potential implications of compactification in future research are vast. It could lead to a deeper understanding of the fundamental laws of physics, alternative theories of gravity, and new insights into the nature of spacetime. It also has practical applications in fields such as computer science, where compactification techniques can be used to optimize algorithms and data storage.