What is the Standard Definition of a Tensor Product of Two Vectors?

• Thread starter Bashyboy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Example
In summary, a tensor product of two vectors is a second order tensor which in a given coordinate system can be represented by a matrix.
Bashyboy
I am have been searching for the of a tensor product of two vectors, but found seemingly conflicting definitions. For example, one source definition was, roughly, that the tensor product of two vectors was another column vector in a higher dimensional space, and another defined the tensor product of two vectors as resulting in a matrix.

So, which of the two is correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe the issue is one of dualization, but the product of a k-tensor T and an n-tensor S is the (k+n)-tensor given by ##T\otimes S:= T(x_1,..,x_k) \otimes S(x_{k+1},..,x_{k+n})## EDIT: Here I assume vectors are treated as 0-tensors.

Last edited:
Bashyboy said:
I am have been searching for the of a tensor product of two vectors, but found seemingly conflicting definitions. For example, one source definition was, roughly, that the tensor product of two vectors was another column vector in a higher dimensional space, and another defined the tensor product of two vectors as resulting in a matrix.

You will need to show those sources.

Bashyboy said:
I am have been searching for the of a tensor product of two vectors, but found seemingly conflicting definitions. For example, one source definition was, roughly, that the tensor product of two vectors was another column vector in a higher dimensional space,
I have never heard of this. What was the source? Perhaps you are confusing a tensor product with a direct product.

and another defined the tensor product of two vectors as resulting in a matrix.
I doubt you read this correctly. The tensor product of two vectors (i.e. two first order tensors) is a second order tensor tensor which in a given coordinate system can be represented by a matrix. You should be careful to distinguish between those two concepts. Physically, velocity is a vector. But a velocity vector with speed v can be represented by the array (v, 0, 0) in one coordinate system, (0, v, 0) in another, and generally (a, b, c) with [itex]a^2+ b^2+ c^2= v^2[/itex]. A tensor can be represented as an array of numbers in a specific coordinate system.

Strictly speaking, neither is correct! But the second is a little closer.

Maybe if you had a natural isomorphism ##V \rightarrow V^{*} ## (e.g., having an associated non-degenerate form ), you can see your vectors naturally/canonically as linear maps and then you get the standard definition ## v\otimes w \approx. (T\otimes S)(x,y):=T(x)S(y)##.

Related to What is the Standard Definition of a Tensor Product of Two Vectors?

What is "In Need of Simple Example"?

"In Need of Simple Example" is a phrase commonly used to describe a situation or concept that requires a clear and straightforward illustration or demonstration.

Why is it important to have a simple example?

A simple example can help to clarify complex ideas and make them easier to understand for a wider audience. It can also be a useful tool for teaching and learning, as it allows for hands-on experience and practical application.

How can I create a simple example?

Creating a simple example involves breaking down a concept or problem into its most basic components and presenting it in a clear and concise manner. This can be done through visual aids, diagrams, or step-by-step explanations.

What are the benefits of using a simple example in scientific research?

Simple examples can be useful in scientific research as they can help to validate theories and hypotheses, provide evidence for conclusions, and make complex data more accessible to a wider audience. They can also serve as a starting point for further investigation and experimentation.

Can a simple example be used in any field of science?

Yes, simple examples can be used in all fields of science, from biology and chemistry to physics and psychology. They are a universal tool for communicating complex concepts and ideas in a more understandable way.