What Is the Spring Stiffness Constant in This Car Collision Scenario?

In summary, a 1200 kg car with a speed of 65 km/h strikes a horizontal coiled spring and is brought to rest in a distance of 2.2 m. The spring stiffness constant of the spring is calculated to be 80867.00826 N/m.
skittlez411

Homework Statement

A 1200 kg car rolling on a horizontal surface has speed v=65km/h when it strikes a horizontal coiled spring and is brought to rest in a distance of 2.2m. what is the spring stiffness constant of the spring?

Homework Equations

K(final)+Us(final)=K(initial)+Us(initial)
1/2mv^2 + 1/2k(delta x)^2= 1/2mv^2 + 1/2k(delta x)^2

The Attempt at a Solution

1/2(1200)(0) + 1/2k(2.2)^2 = 1/2(1200)(18.06) + 1/2k(0)^2
k = 80867.00826 N/m :bugeye:

The answer looks so big that it doesn't make sense to me. I converted the 65km/h to m/s.

thanks,
nicole!

Physics news on Phys.org
Well I didn't check it yet, but think of how much energy a car moving at 65 km/h has! 2.2 meters is quite a small distance for a car to come to a stop!

EDIT: Answer looks OK to me.

Last edited:
must be correct
btw...its 18.06^2
i think u hav used it in calculations but missed it here

yahh i missed it here. i just double-checked my answer.

Related to What Is the Spring Stiffness Constant in This Car Collision Scenario?

What is a spring constant?

A spring constant, also known as force constant, is a measure of the stiffness of a spring. It is represented by the letter "k" and is measured in units of force per unit length, such as N/m or lb/in.

How is spring constant calculated?

The spring constant can be calculated by dividing the force applied to the spring by the displacement it causes. This can be represented by the equation k = F/x, where k is the spring constant, F is the force applied, and x is the displacement.

How does spring constant affect the behavior of a spring?

The spring constant determines how much force is required to stretch or compress a spring by a certain distance. A higher spring constant means the spring is stiffer and requires more force to stretch or compress, while a lower spring constant indicates a more flexible spring.

Can the spring constant of a spring change?

Yes, the spring constant of a spring can change depending on various factors such as the material of the spring, the shape of the spring, and the amount of force applied. It can also change over time due to wear and tear or changes in temperature.

What are some real-life applications of spring constant?

The concept of spring constant is used in various fields, such as engineering, physics, and biomechanics. It is essential in designing and understanding the behavior of springs in various devices, including car suspensions, door hinges, and shock absorbers. It is also used in studying the elasticity of materials and analyzing the movement of objects in a spring system.