What is the spring constant for an elastic cord with varying weights?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the spring constant of an elastic cord given different weights and lengths. The equation F=-Kx is used to solve for the constant, with x representing the distance from equilibrium. One approach is to use the change in mass and change in distance to calculate the constant, while another approach is to average the constants from each case.
mortho

Homework Statement

An elastic cord is 67 cm long when a weight of 57 N hangs from it and is 80 cm long when a weight of 79 N hangs from it. What is the "spring" constant of this elastic cord?

Homework Equations

F=-Kx

The Attempt at a Solution

I substituted the numbers into the formula for each set, like for the 0.67 m, i got 85.1 N/m and for the other i got, 98.8 N/m and then i averaged the two because i didn't know what else to do, so i got 92.0 N/m for the average but it's wrong. Please help me!
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Remember in that equation that x is the distance from equilibrium

You don't know how long the cord was when there was nothing on it, so you're not going to have it but you're given two cases, so eventually it'll cancel out

i have a similar problem so i didnt want to start a new thread, i hope there arent any feelings of thread jacking, but my problem is that i have the force and the k constant and an original length but i need to find the final length. would it be the force added to the k * x or multiplied like this: (mg)*k(x_2-x_1)

i sense that i am completely off...i will rethink this and come back

Yo, to calculate the spring constant you just have to use the change in mass.

76N-57N=19N

the change in distance (delta x) is 80cm-67cm=13cm

change cm into meters dividing by 100

13cm/100=0.13m

now plug n chug

19N=-K*0.13m

divide 19N by 0.13m and you have your answer...

146.15 N/m is your spring constant

Related to What is the spring constant for an elastic cord with varying weights?

What is the spring constant?

The spring constant is a measure of the stiffness of a spring. It represents the amount of force required to stretch or compress a spring by a certain distance.

How is the spring constant calculated?

The spring constant is calculated by dividing the force applied to a spring by the displacement it causes. In other words, it is the ratio of force to displacement.

What is the unit of measurement for spring constant?

The SI unit for spring constant is Newtons per meter (N/m). However, it can also be measured in other units such as pounds per inch (lb/in) or kilograms per centimeter (kg/cm).

What factors affect the spring constant?

The spring constant is affected by the material of the spring, the size and shape of the spring, and the number of coils in the spring. It also depends on the amount of force applied and the distance the spring is stretched or compressed.

What is the significance of the spring constant in science and engineering?

The spring constant is an important factor in many scientific and engineering applications, such as in the design of springs for mechanical devices, the study of elasticity and Hooke's Law, and in the analysis of simple harmonic motion in physics.