What is the speed of the wind?

In summary, an aircraft has a speed of 44m/s relative to the air and a resultant speed of 47m/s over the ground. The wind is blowing from the west. To solve for the speed of the wind, use the law of sines or law of cosines. To determine the direction of the aircraft's path over the ground, draw a diagram and solve for the angle using the fact that the vertical and horizontal components of the velocity are perpendicular.
madden
An aircraft heads due south with a speed relative to the air of 44m/s Its resultant speed over the ground is 47 m/s The wind blows from the west. A) What is the speed of the wind? B) What is the direction of the aircrafts path over the ground?

I figured out a, 16.5 but i don't even know where to start when it comes to b except i know i need to use law of sines or law of cosines...HELP please

Physics news on Phys.org
PLEASE help me I've been working on this problem for hours

The velocities as vectors: vy = -44j. vx = ai
v = vy + vx
|v| = 47

Draw a diagram, and you should be able to easily solve the angle, as vx and vy are perpendicular.

Related to What is the speed of the wind?

What is the speed of the wind?

The speed of the wind refers to the rate at which air molecules are moving in a certain direction. It is typically measured in meters per second or miles per hour.

How is the speed of the wind measured?

The speed of the wind is usually measured using an anemometer, which consists of cups that rotate and measure the wind's force. Other methods include using wind vanes or Doppler radar.

What factors affect the speed of the wind?

The speed of the wind can be influenced by several factors, including atmospheric pressure, temperature, and topography. For example, wind tends to move faster in areas with lower pressure and in narrow valleys or canyons.

What is considered a strong wind speed?

The definition of a strong wind speed can vary depending on the context. Generally, wind speeds above 25 mph are considered strong, while anything above 50 mph is considered a severe wind speed.

Why is knowing the speed of the wind important?

Knowing the speed of the wind is important for several reasons. It can help predict weather patterns, assist in navigation for ships and airplanes, and is crucial for activities such as sailing, kite flying, and wind power generation.