What is the speed of the moon's motion?

• Thread starter Timoothy
  • Start date
In summary, the moon's rotation speed is rarely mentioned along with other moon facts, leading to speculation of a conspiracy. However, this fact is not considered to be very important and it is generally more useful to measure the moon's rotation in comparison with its orbital period. The moon's rotational speed at the equator is 10.3 miles per hour, with a velocity of 0 at the poles. To calculate the speed at any latitude in between, the equatorial speed can be multiplied by the cosine of the latitude. Overall, while some may find the 10.3 mph figure interesting, it is not a commonly discussed fact.
Timoothy
I've only found 3 websites that even mention the moon's rotation speed, much less discuss it.

Why is that information (10.3 miles per hour) rarely mentioned along with other moon facts

Astronomy news on Phys.org
It's a conspriracy!

ps. Wiki gives it as 4.627 m/s

mgb_phys said:
It's a conspriracy!

ps. Wiki gives it as 4.627 m/s

"A conspiracy" you say, well that's the best answer I've heard so far!

I guess people just don't consider that factoid to be very important.

Generally, I think people find it more useful to measure the moon's rotation in comparison with its orbital period. "Miles" and "meters" are strictly man-made units of measure, so measuring the rotation of the moon in miles per hour or meters per second might seem (to some people) rather arbitrary. Referring to the time it takes the moon to complete one revolution on its axis as "one lunar orbit" is a much more relevant bit of information, for most applications.

That's the Moon's rotational speed at the equator.
It's easy to compute: v=d/t = Moon's circumference / period = 2*pi*1737km/(27.32*24) = 16.645 km/hr, same as 10.3 mi/hr or 4.6 m/s.

But at the poles its velocity is 0. To get the speed for any latitude inbetween, multiply the equatorial speed by cos(latitude).

LURCH said:
Generally, I think people find it more useful to measure the moon's rotation in comparison with its orbital period. "Miles" and "meters" are strictly man-made units of measure, so measuring the rotation of the moon in miles per hour or meters per second might seem (to some people) rather arbitrary. Referring to the time it takes the moon to complete one revolution on its axis as "one lunar orbit" is a much more relevant bit of information, for most applications.

Well i suppose so, but I think the 10.3 mph (axial rotation at the equator) figure would be interesting to lots of people such as myself (pushing 60) as well as younger people who are just beginning to learn about the moon.

tony873004 said:
That's the Moon's rotational speed at the equator.
It's easy to compute: v=d/t = Moon's circumference / period = 2*pi*1737km/(27.32*24) = 16.645 km/hr, same as 10.3 mi/hr or 4.6 m/s.

But at the poles its velocity is 0. To get the speed for any latitude inbetween, multiply the equatorial speed by cos(latitude).

Thanks, someone else had already shown me the math so I was able to follow your formula.

Related to What is the speed of the moon's motion?

1. What are the different types of motion exhibited by the moon?

The moon exhibits three main types of motion: orbital motion around the Earth, rotational motion on its own axis, and libration motion caused by the moon's slightly elliptical orbit.

2. How fast does the moon move in its orbit around the Earth?

The moon's orbital speed varies, but on average it moves at a speed of about 1 km/s, or 2,288 miles per hour.

3. How long does it take for the moon to complete one orbit around the Earth?

The moon takes approximately 27.3 days, or 27 days, 7 hours, and 43 minutes, to complete one orbit around the Earth.

4. Why does the moon appear to move across the sky?

The moon's orbital motion around the Earth, combined with the Earth's rotation on its axis, causes the moon to appear to move across the sky from East to West.

5. How does the moon's speed affect tides on Earth?

The moon's gravitational pull on the Earth's oceans causes the tides to rise and fall. The speed of the moon's orbital motion determines the frequency of tides, with two high tides and two low tides occurring every 24 hours and 50 minutes.