What is the speed of electric current?

In summary, electric current consists of electrons that drift at slow speeds inside a conductor due to an electric field. However, for practical purposes, the speed of current can be considered to be the same as the speed of light, which is 186,000 miles per second. This speed can only be achieved with an extremely high amount of current or a very fine strand of conductor. Such a scenario is currently not possible due to limitations in current technology.
mbsid786
My teacher taught me electrons(current) inside conductor don't flow apace but they drift inside it. This drift in one direction due to electric field is called drift velocity. But now I m reading
"Electric current flows very fast through any conductor, resistor, or semiconductor.
In fact, for most practical purposes you can consider the speed of current to be the
same as the speed of light: 186,000 miles per second. Actually, it is a little less."

Oh man ! physics sucks me :D

Physics news on Phys.org
Electric fields travel very fast but the electrons making up the current generally drift at very slow speeds.

You can calculate it, I just forgot how!

If memory serves me right, it's usually few centimeters per second for normal current densities.

It will take an incredibly high amount of current and/or very fine strand of conductor to take the drift up to relativistic speeds - if only there's such superconductor that can handle such extreme current density. But if it was possible, it might emit high energy radiation as well as appreciable amount of thrust (that could you could utilize for space propulsion)

Related to What is the speed of electric current?

What is the speed of current?

The speed of current refers to the rate at which water moves in a specific direction, typically in a river or ocean. It is measured in units of distance per time, such as meters per second or miles per hour.

How is the speed of current measured?

The speed of current is typically measured using a current meter, which is a device that is placed in the water to measure the velocity of the current. Other methods include using floats and timing how long it takes to travel a certain distance.

What factors affect the speed of current?

The speed of current can be affected by a variety of factors, including the slope or gradient of the water body, the shape and size of the waterway, the amount of water flowing, the presence of obstacles or barriers, and the overall topography of the surrounding area.

Why is it important to know the speed of current?

Knowing the speed of current is important for a variety of reasons. It can help with navigation and transportation, as well as predicting potential hazards or changes in water levels. It is also important for understanding and managing aquatic ecosystems and studying weather patterns.

How does the speed of current impact marine life?

The speed of current can have a significant impact on marine life. It can affect the distribution and movement of organisms, as well as the availability of food and nutrients. It can also play a role in the reproduction and survival of certain species. Changes in current speed can disrupt these natural processes and have negative effects on marine ecosystems.