What is the speed of Betty on a playground swing?

In summary, Betty, weighing 427 N, is sitting on a playground swing seat that hangs 0.22 m above the ground. When Tom pulls the swing back and releases it at a height of 0.88 m above the ground, the swing's acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s2. To find Betty's speed when the swing passes through its lowest position, we can use the equations PEg=Mgh and KE=1/2Mv^2. After substituting the given values, we get a final answer of 11.37 m/s.
sonic91

Homework Statement

Betty weighs 427 N and she is sitting on
a playground swing seat that hangs 0.22 m
above the ground. Tom pulls the swing back
and releases it when the seat is 0.88 m above
the ground.
The acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s2 .
How fast is Betty moving when the swing
passes through its lowest position?
Answer in units of m/s.

Homework Equations

KE=1/2 M V^2
PEg=Mgh
i might be missing an equation here

The Attempt at a Solution

i was thinking that potential energy gravitational would turn into Kinetic energy then i solved for v.

PEg= 427 Newtons*.66 i used the change in height for h and got 281.82 Joules for my answer. then i said that should transfer to KE.

281.82 joules= 1/2* 427/9.8 Kg * V^2 and i got 11.3737 m/s as my answer. when i checked this it turned out to be wrong. i think i may have to apply circular motion concepts to this problem, but I'm not quite sure how to do that.

thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your logic looks sound; it must just be a math error throwing you off... If the work you have here is what you typed into your calculator, then I have two suggestions: first, the weight in the 2nd equation should be 427, not 527... secondly, did you take the square root of both sides at the end? Other than that, I don't know what to tell you.

yeah I've got it figured out now thanks.

Related to What is the speed of Betty on a playground swing?

1. What is energy and motion problem?

The energy and motion problem involves understanding the relationship between an object's energy and its motion. It is a concept in physics that helps explain how energy is transferred and transformed in different systems.

2. How do you calculate the energy of an object in motion?

The energy of an object in motion can be calculated using the equation E=1/2mv^2, where E is the energy, m is the mass of the object, and v is the velocity or speed of the object.

3. What is the difference between kinetic and potential energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion, while potential energy is the energy an object possesses due to its position or state. Kinetic energy is the energy of motion, while potential energy is stored energy that can be converted into kinetic energy.

4. How does energy affect an object's motion?

Energy affects an object's motion by providing the force necessary to move the object. The amount of energy an object has can determine its speed, direction, and ability to overcome external forces such as friction or gravity.

5. Can energy be created or destroyed?

The law of conservation of energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred from one form to another. This means that the total amount of energy in a closed system remains constant, even if it changes forms.