What Is the Speed of a Block Launched by a Compressed Spring?

In summary, the student's homework statement is that they are having trouble with a particular part of the homework and they ask a classmate for help. The classmate finds that the student's number is a bit high, so they check the student's work. The student's work is correct, but the student forgot to use the correct signs for their potential energies.
MAC5494

Homework Statement

So we have a test this Friday over several topics in modern mechanics. Our professor gave us last year's test to use as a study guide, but hasn't posted the solutions yet. I'm not sure I'm doing this one right so I was hoping someone could check my work! I feel like my number is a bit big.

A spring whose stiffness is 3500 N/m is used to launch a 4 kg block straight up in the classroom. The
spring is initially compressed 0.2 m, and the block is initially at rest when it is released. When the block is 1.3
m above its starting position, what is its speed? Be sure to specify what objects are in your system and what
objects are in the surroundings. Show all your work, starting from fundamental principles and/or definitions

system: block, spring, gravity
surrounding: none

Us = Potential Energy of Spring
Ug = Potential Energy of Gravity
ks = spring stiffness
si & sf = stretch

Homework Equations

Ef = Ei + W

Usf + Ugf + Kf = Usi + Ugi + [STRIKE]Ki[/STRIKE] + [STRIKE]W[/STRIKE]

Kf = Usi - Usf + Ugi - Ugf

.5mvf2 = .5ks(si - sf)2 + mg(yi - yf)

vf2 = (ks(si - sf)2)/m + 2g(yi - yf)

vf = sqrt((ks(si - sf)2)/m + 2g(yi - yf))

The Attempt at a Solution

I might have messed up the stretch, I'm currently looking over it.

I got vf = 44.038 m/s

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Seems like you need to double check your s's and y's. Are these potential energies(Us and Ug) supposed to add or subtract? Did you use the correct signs for your s's and y's?

I used the quantity -.2 for both si and yi since the spring is compressed. I'm not sure what you are saying. Usf and Ugf should be subtracting.

I'm not saying what you did is wrong, but to make sure you are consistent with your signs. What values did you use for delta s and delta y?

delta s and delta y = -1.5

The stretch became +2.25 because it was squared

The thing is though that it is si-sf and yi-yf, so it is different I guess you could say.

Hmm, I think you can assume all the energy from the spring transfers into the object such that the spring stops decompressing at its equilibrium length. So delta s is just the distance it is compressed, and delta y is how high the block is from where it started.

Okay I see what you mean. After the spring is released, the block flies off the spring so Usf is actually just 0, right?

For that, I got Vf = 2.366 m/s which does sound much more realistic haha.

I think that's around the value I got as well (don't remember, but it's reasonable). Did you use (-)1.3 for delta y? If not, then your velocity is probably a little low.

No, I used -1.5, because when the block is at 1.3, it is 1.5m above the point it started from.

The problem says clearly that is 1.3 m above the starting position. Not 1.5.

Yeah you are right. Sorry I haven't slept in a while, so I'm kind of delusional.

Related to What Is the Speed of a Block Launched by a Compressed Spring?

1. What is the energy principle with springs?

The energy principle with springs is a fundamental concept in physics that states that the total energy of a spring system is conserved, meaning it remains constant throughout any changes or interactions within the system.

2. How does the energy principle apply to springs?

The energy principle applies to springs by considering the potential energy stored in the spring when it is stretched or compressed. This potential energy can be converted into kinetic energy when the spring is released, causing it to oscillate back and forth.

3. What is the formula for calculating the potential energy of a spring?

The formula for calculating the potential energy of a spring is U = 1/2kx^2, where U is the potential energy, k is the spring constant, and x is the displacement of the spring from its equilibrium position.

4. How does the energy principle relate to the motion of a mass on a spring?

The energy principle is directly related to the motion of a mass on a spring because the potential energy stored in the spring is converted into kinetic energy as the mass oscillates back and forth. This exchange of energy allows the mass to continue oscillating without any external force.

5. Can the energy principle be applied to other systems besides springs?

Yes, the energy principle can be applied to various systems besides springs, such as pendulums and simple harmonic oscillators. It is a fundamental principle in physics that applies to any system where energy is conserved.