What is the Speed and Angle of a Comet Crossing Earth's Orbit?

In summary, the comet's speed is twice the orbital speed of the Earth, and it crosses the Earth's orbit at an angle of 57 degrees.
Sekonda
Hey, here is the problem:

The minimum distance of a comet from the Sun is observed to be half the radius of the
Earth’s orbit (assumed circular) and its speed at that point is twice the orbital speed v(earth) of the Earth. The Earth’s and comet’s orbits are coplanar. Find the comet’s speed in terms of
v(earth) when it crosses the Earth’s orbit, and the angle at which the orbits cross.

I believe this is an energy conservation problem and I used the equation:

0.5mv^2 + (L^2)/(2mr^2) - GMm/r

as well as the fact the Earth's orbital velocity : v(earth) = vsin(θ)

Though I'm not sure if these equations are correct for this particular scenario,

Thanks for any help!
S

Physics news on Phys.org
Since angular momentum is conserved separately, you probably won't need to consider angular kinetic energy in the mechanical energy conservation relation. The specific mechanical energy (##\xi##) of the comet's orbit should come in handy. What does it tell you about the overall shape of the comet's orbit?

Thanks for the help, I think I have attained the velocity and the angle.

Well the shape of the orbit or trajectory depends on the energy of the system, I think the shape will be hyperbolic; though I think it depends on whether or not the kinetic energy is greater or equal to or less than the gravitational potential energy; though I'm not sure if there is anyway of working this out without the provided constants i.e. the velocity of the earth, mass of the sun, radius of Earth's orbit and Gravitational constant.

Or is there another way of determining the shape of the orbit?

Sekonda said:
Thanks for the help, I think I have attained the velocity and the angle.

Well the shape of the orbit or trajectory depends on the energy of the system, I think the shape will be hyperbolic; though I think it depends on whether or not the kinetic energy is greater or equal to or less than the gravitational potential energy; though I'm not sure if there is anyway of working this out without the provided constants i.e. the velocity of the earth, mass of the sun, radius of Earth's orbit and Gravitational constant.

Or is there another way of determining the shape of the orbit?

You are given speed and radius at a location: v = Ve*2, r = AU/2, where Ve is the Earth's orbital speed (Assume a circular orbit. What's the formula for its speed?), and AU is the Earth's orbital radius. You can plug the various expressions into the total mechanical energy expression. You should be able to determine whether the result will be less than, equal to, or greater than zero.

And once again, I think I have solved this problem due to your help.

Thank you once again gneill!

Sekonda said:
And once again, I think I have solved this problem due to your help.

Thank you once again gneill!

You're very welcome.

Related to What is the Speed and Angle of a Comet Crossing Earth's Orbit?

1. What is orbital energy conservation?

Orbital energy conservation is a scientific principle that states that the total energy of a satellite in orbit around a larger object, such as a planet or star, remains constant. This means that the satellite's kinetic energy and gravitational potential energy must balance out, resulting in a stable orbit.

2. How is orbital energy conserved?

In order for orbital energy to be conserved, the satellite must continuously maintain its speed and distance from the larger object. This requires a constant balance between the satellite's velocity and its distance from the object, known as its orbital velocity and altitude. Changes in either of these factors can disrupt the balance and result in a change in orbital energy.

3. Why is orbital energy conservation important?

Orbital energy conservation is important because it ensures the stability of objects in orbit. Without this principle, satellites would constantly be changing their orbits and potentially colliding with other objects in space. Additionally, orbital energy conservation is essential for accurately predicting and planning orbital trajectories for spacecraft and other objects in space.

4. Does orbital energy conservation apply to all objects in orbit?

Yes, orbital energy conservation applies to all objects in orbit, regardless of their size or mass. This principle is a fundamental law of physics that applies to any object in orbit around a larger body, including natural satellites, artificial satellites, and even the Moon orbiting the Earth.

5. How is orbital energy conservation related to the laws of thermodynamics?

Orbital energy conservation is related to the laws of thermodynamics through the concept of energy conservation. The first law of thermodynamics states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted from one form to another. This law applies to orbital energy conservation, as the total energy of an object in orbit remains constant, but can be converted between kinetic and potential energy as the object orbits around its larger body.