What is the specific heat capacity of tap water?

In summary, the time for water to heat up from 25'c to 75'c when placed in a 1000'c oven is IlanFourier's law would govern this.
Ossdon
Hi
Can anyone direct me to the correct Thermo formula to solve the following problem.
What is the time for water to heat up from 25'c to 75'c when placed in a 1000'c oven?
Tnx
Ilan

Science news on Phys.org
Fourier's law would govern this.

The water wouldn't heat evenly, and if you want to know the time before the coldest part of the volume reaches 75 (by which time the edges will be hotter), you need to do some maths which factors in (a) the thermal conductance of the water and the container and (b) the shape of the water and thickness of the container.

Tnx Mikey

The furier law give me the heat transfer, but what is the equation to find the time for the water to heat up given the heat transferred?
I have water running trough a copper pipe, entering the pipe at 25°c, the pipe is placed in a 1000°c oven, I'm trying to found out what should be the length of the pipe so that the water come out of the pipe at 75°c.
I understand that the water in the pipe center will be colder then the water near the edges, but I need the average temperature of the water.

Tnx
Ilan

If the pipe is reasonably long in relation to diameter, I wouldn't worry too much about unequal heating.
Pipe material conductivity = k
Inner radius = r
Outer radius = R
Water temp at x from start = T(x)
Oven temp = H
Specific heat of water/unit vol = s
velocity of water = V
A = π.r^2
A full analysis gets messy because there will be heat flow along the pipe (back towards point of entry into oven) as well as radially, but let's ignore that.
Taking a slice through the pipe thickness dx, the radial heat flow depends on the temperature difference and the inner and outer radii:
F(x) = dx.2π.k.(H-T(x))/ln(R/r)
In time dt, heat entering dx of the pipe = F.dt
In that time, a volume of water V.A.dt passes any given point.
So in distance dx the water warms by dT = F/V.A.s
dT/dx = 2π.k.(H-T(x))/(ln(R/r).V.A.s)
ln((H-T)/c) = -2π.k.x/(ln(R/r).V.A.s), where c = H - T(0).
If the pipe is length L, water emerges at temp T(L) :
ln((H-T(L))/(H-T(0))) = -2π.k.L/(ln(R/r).V.A.s)

Check the math, plug in the constants and solve for L.

Hi again

Tnx for all the math.
I have all the constants except for the s, do you know what is the s for tap water?
didn't check yet the math.

Tnx
Ilan

Ossdon said:
Hi again

Tnx for all the math.
I have all the constants except for the s, do you know what is the s for tap water?
didn't check yet the math.

Tnx
Ilan

4200 Joules per litre per deg C

Related to What is the specific heat capacity of tap water?

1. What is the purpose of a thermo formula?

The purpose of a thermo formula is to calculate the amount of heat energy transferred in a system or process, based on the properties of the materials involved.

2. How is a thermo formula used in scientific experiments?

A thermo formula is used in scientific experiments to determine the amount of heat energy gained or lost by a substance, which can help researchers understand the behavior of materials under different conditions.

3. What factors are involved in a thermo formula?

A thermo formula takes into account the specific heat capacity of the substance, the change in temperature, and the mass of the substance.

4. Can a thermo formula be used for all types of materials?

No, a thermo formula is specific to the properties of the material being studied. Different substances have different specific heat capacities, so the formula will vary depending on the material.

5. How accurate are thermo formulas in predicting heat energy transfer?

Thermo formulas are generally very accurate, as long as the properties of the materials involved are known and the experiment is conducted in controlled conditions.