What Is the Specific Gravity of a Cube Weighing 0.54kg with 5cm Sides?

In summary, the specific weight of a cube with lengths of 5cm and a weight of .54kg is 2.5 g/cm3. However, there may be some discrepancies with the given answers as they don't fit the units for specific gravity or specific weight. It is important to clarify which measurement is being used, as specific gravity can be relative to various substances, while specific weight is typically measured in N/m3. If the measurement is indeed specific gravity with water as the reference, then the correct answer would be 4.32 g/cm3. It is recommended to verify the correct measurement before challenging the question setter.
Raven1972
1. A Cube of lengths 5cm each. The cube weighs .54kg. What is its specific weight?

2. Answers: A)6 g cm3 B)3 g cm3 C) 2.5 g cm3 D) 2 g cm3

3. 5x5x5 = 125cm3 540g/125= 4.32 g cm3 which is none of the above. Could someone verify that I'm correct before I make an idiot of myself when I challenge the question setter?

Physics news on Phys.org
Raven1972 said:
1. A Cube of lengths 5cm each. The cube weighs .54kg. What is its specific weight?

2. Answers: A)6 g cm3 B)3 g cm3 C) 2.5 g cm3 D) 2 g cm3

3. 5x5x5 = 125cm3 540g/125= 4.32 g cm3 which is none of the above. Could someone verify that I'm correct before I make an idiot of myself when I challenge the question setter?

I've found out by a process of deduction that the answer is supposed to be 2.5 gcm3.
Is this wrong?

Specific gravity or specific weight?

If sg - I would say your approach (giving 4.32) is correct. There are possible problems here, like sg being relative to something, not necessarily water - so it doesn't have to be identical to density.

Answers given are strange, as units don't fit neither sg nor sw. Specific gravity should be unitles, specific weight units are N/m3 (more generally force/volume). g/cm3 is wrong - unless it is so called gram-force (9.8 mN) per cm3.

Borek said:
Specific gravity or specific weight?

There are possible problems here, like sg being relative to something, not necessarily water

In this case I believe it supposed to be water

Thanks for the answer. It has confirmed my own conclusions...

The specific gravity, also known as relative density, is the ratio of the density of a substance to the density of a reference substance at a specific temperature. It is a unitless quantity and is often used to compare the density of different materials. In the given scenario, the specific gravity of the cube can be calculated by dividing its density (0.54 kg) by the density of the reference substance, which is often water (1 kg/L). This gives a specific gravity of 0.54, which means the cube is slightly less dense than water.

To verify your calculation, we can use the formula specific gravity = density of substance/density of reference substance. In this case, it would be 0.54 kg/L divided by 1 kg/L, which also gives a specific gravity of 0.54.

It is always important to double check calculations to avoid any mistakes. However, in this case, your calculation is correct and you can confidently challenge the question setter if needed.

Related to What Is the Specific Gravity of a Cube Weighing 0.54kg with 5cm Sides?

What is the specific gravity?

The specific gravity of a substance is a measure of its density compared to the density of water. It is a unitless quantity that is often used to describe the relative heaviness or lightness of a material.

How is specific gravity calculated?

Specific gravity is calculated by dividing the density of a substance by the density of water at a specific temperature. This is typically done using the formula: specific gravity = density of substance / density of water.

What is the significance of specific gravity?

The specific gravity of a substance can provide important information about its physical properties and composition. It can also be used to determine the purity of a substance, as well as to predict how it will behave in different environments.

How does specific gravity differ from density?

Density measures the mass of a substance per unit volume, while specific gravity compares the density of a substance to the density of water. Therefore, specific gravity is a dimensionless quantity, while density is typically measured in units such as grams per cubic centimeter (g/cm3).

What factors can affect the specific gravity of a substance?

The specific gravity of a substance can be affected by various factors, including temperature, pressure, and the presence of impurities or other substances. Changes in these factors can alter the density of the substance, and thus, its specific gravity.