What is the solution to this hard system of equations?

In summary, Kaliprasad is looking for help with a system that has the following equations:$\dfrac{1}{ab}+\dfrac{1}{b}+\dfrac{1}{c}=\dfrac{5}{11}$$\dfrac{1}{bc}+\dfrac{1}{c}+\dfrac{1}{a}=\dfrac{3}{8}$$\dfrac{1}{ac}+\dfrac{1}{a}+\dfrac{1}{b}=\dfrac{9}{11}$
anemone
Gold Member
MHB
POTW Director
Hi MHB,

This problem has been one big headache for me and I failed miserably every time that I attempted it. I thought to dump it into the trash, but I couldn't, simply because I would like very much to solve it.

So, I hope to get some good help from this site and I thank anyone who wants to help me out with this problem in advance.

Problem:

Solve the system in real numbers:

$\dfrac{1}{ab}+\dfrac{1}{b}+\dfrac{1}{c}=\dfrac{5}{11}$

$\dfrac{1}{bc}+\dfrac{1}{c}+\dfrac{1}{a}=\dfrac{3}{8}$

$\dfrac{1}{ac}+\dfrac{1}{a}+\dfrac{1}{b}=\dfrac{9}{11}$

Attempt:

Multiplying all of the three equations by $abc$ and then addding them up yields

$a+b+c+2(ab+bc+ca)=\dfrac{145abc}{88}$ which, I don't think, it helps much.

Attempt 2:

By rewriting the equations such that we would end up with an equation in terms of one variable, e.g. $a$ doesn't help much either...

I would show only the end result here:

$121(a^2-1-1)^2+(11()88)a(9a-16)(a^2-1-1)+88a^2(9a-16)^2=a(9a-16)(64+57a-136a^2)$

Mathematics news on Phys.org
anemone said:
Hi MHB,

This problem has been one big headache for me and I failed miserably every time that I attempted it. I thought to dump it into the trash, but I couldn't, simply because I would like very much to solve it.

So, I hope to get some good help from this site and I thank anyone who wants to help me out with this problem in advance.

Problem:

Solve the system in real numbers:

$\dfrac{1}{bc}+\dfrac{1}{c}+\dfrac{1}{a}=\dfrac{3}{8}$

$\dfrac{1}{ac}+\dfrac{1}{a}+\dfrac{1}{b}=\dfrac{9}{11}$

Attempt:

Multiplying all of the three equations by $abc$ and then addding them up yields

$a+b+c+2(ab+bc+ca)=\dfrac{145abc}{88}$ which, I don't think, it helps much.

Attempt 2:

By rewriting the equations such that we would end up with an equation in terms of one variable, e.g. $a$ doesn't help much either...

I would show only the end result here:

$121(a^2-1-1)^2+(11()88)a(9a-16)(a^2-1-1)+88a^2(9a-16)^2=a(9a-16)(64+57a-136a^2)$

in

you can put
$\dfrac{1}{ab}=\dfrac{1-b}{ab}+\dfrac{1}{a}$

to get
$\dfrac{1-b}{ab}+\dfrac{1}{a}+\dfrac{1}{b}+\dfrac{1}{c}=\dfrac{5}{11}$

similarly other 2 equations and take differences and then result should follow

kaliprasad said:
...d take differences and then result should follow
Thanks for the reply, kaliprasad!:)

Okay, here is what I did following your hint, but I just couldn't see the way to finish it, am I missing something obvious here?(Tmi)

$\dfrac{1-b}{ab}+\dfrac{1}{a}+\dfrac{1}{b}+\dfrac{1}{c}=\dfrac{5}{11}$---(1)

$\dfrac{1-c}{bc}+\dfrac{1}{a}+\dfrac{1}{b}+\dfrac{1}{c}=\dfrac{3}{8}$---(2)

$\dfrac{1-a}{ac}+\dfrac{1}{a}+\dfrac{1}{b}+\dfrac{1}{c}=\dfrac{9}{11}$---(3)

(1)-(2) gives

$\dfrac{1-b}{ab}-\dfrac{1-c}{bc}=\dfrac{7}{88}$
(3)-(1) gives

$\dfrac{1-a}{ac}-\dfrac{1-b}{ab}=\dfrac{4}{11}$

Sorry kaliprasad...I don't think the result of their difference or sum help here...:(

$\left(\dfrac{1-b}{ab}-\dfrac{1-c}{bc}\right)-\left(\dfrac{1-a}{ac}-\dfrac{1-b}{ab}\right)=\dfrac{7}{88}-\dfrac{4}{11}\implies\,\,\,2\left(\dfrac{1-b}{ab}\right)-\left(\dfrac{a+b-ac-ab}{abc}\right)=-\dfrac{25}{88}$

or

$\dfrac{1-a}{ac}-\dfrac{1-c}{bc}=\dfrac{39}{88}$

But, if I were to do it like the following, then I ended up with something different, I don't know, I am completely lost in this problem:

$\dfrac{1-b}{ab}-\dfrac{1-c}{bc}=\dfrac{7}{88}=\dfrac{7}{32}\cdot\dfrac{4}{11}=\dfrac{7}{32}\left(\dfrac{1-a}{ac}-\dfrac{1-b}{ab}\right)$

Simplifying gives

$39c-32a-7b=39bc-32ac-7ab$

Related to What is the solution to this hard system of equations?

1. What is a hard system of equations?

A hard system of equations refers to a set of mathematical equations that are difficult to solve due to a large number of variables and complex relationships between them.

2. How is a hard system of equations different from a regular system of equations?

A hard system of equations typically involves more variables and complex relationships, making it more challenging to find a solution compared to a regular system of equations.

3. What are some real-life applications of hard systems of equations?

Hard systems of equations are commonly used in various fields of science, including physics, engineering, and economics, to model complex systems and make predictions.

4. What techniques are used to solve a hard system of equations?

There are various techniques that can be used to solve a hard system of equations, such as substitution, elimination, and the use of matrices and determinants.

5. Can a hard system of equations have multiple solutions?

Yes, a hard system of equations can have multiple solutions, depending on the number of variables and the relationships between them. In some cases, there may also be no solution or an infinite number of solutions.