What is the solution to this free fall gravity question?

In summary, the object in free fall spends the same amount of time going up as it does going down, with a velocity of 0 at the top of its path. Using this information, we can determine the acceleration to be 3.333m/s^2. In another scenario, if a helicopter is at a height of 30m and thrown up at 20m/s, we can use the fact that the object will be moving at the same speed but in the opposite direction when it passes the same height on its way back down. This means we can use the initial velocity of the throw to calculate the final velocity and time when the object hits the ground.
grantP
[SOLVED] Free Fall Gravity Question

question below

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Vf does not equal 0, it equals -Vi.
The easiest way to look at it is that In free fall the object spends the same amount of time going up as it does going down. Also note that when the object is at the top of its path v=0.
So we know that it is in the air for 3 seconds, therefore at 1.5 seconds it is at its maximum height and v=0.
the change in velovity is 5-0=5 and the accel is 5/1.5 = 3.333m/s^2

ok thanks...on another note, how would you figure out an equation from say a helicopter which is 30m in the air and is throw up at 20m/s?

an equation to find what, the acceleration?

since i don't know the Distance of the obj.'s path (30+d) how would i go about figuring it out?

well I am looking for velocity of the obj when it hits the ground, and the time as well, and i just assumed i needed to know the distance

to do that you can use that fact that the object is moving at the same speed but opposite direction when it passes the same height on the way back down from it hieght. For example if a ball is thrown up at 5m/s when it passes the height that the thrower released it at it will be moving at 5 m/s down. So for the helicopter use the initial velocity that the ball is thrown up at in vf=vi+at

k got it

Related to What is the solution to this free fall gravity question?

1. What is free fall gravity?

Free fall gravity is the acceleration due to gravity acting on an object in the absence of any other forces. This means that an object will accelerate towards the Earth at a constant rate of 9.8 meters per second squared.

2. How is free fall different from regular gravity?

In regular gravity, an object may experience other forces besides the force of gravity, such as air resistance or friction. However, in free fall, the object is only acted upon by the force of gravity, resulting in a constant acceleration.

3. Does the mass of an object affect free fall gravity?

No, the mass of an object does not affect free fall gravity. All objects, regardless of their mass, will experience the same acceleration due to gravity in free fall.

4. How does altitude affect free fall gravity?

The higher the altitude, the weaker the force of gravity. This means that an object in free fall will experience a slightly lower acceleration at higher altitudes compared to lower altitudes.

5. Can free fall gravity be calculated?

Yes, free fall gravity can be calculated using the formula: a = g, where "a" is the acceleration due to gravity and "g" is the gravitational constant, which is approximately equal to 9.8 m/s² on Earth.