What is the solution to the Moving Blocks Problem?

• Thread starter zzinfinity
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Blocks
In summary, the problem involves a 32.5-kg block connected to a 6.9-kg block by a massless string. A force of 223.3 N acts on the first block at an angle of 30.1o, and the coefficient of kinetic friction between the first block and the surface is 0.213. The goal is to determine the upward acceleration of the second block. In attempting to solve the problem, the net force on the first block was calculated, taking into account the weight of the second block. However, this is incorrect because the weight of the second block also creates tension on the rope, exerting a rightward force on the first block. The correct solution is to consider the
zzinfinity

Homework Statement

I'm stuck on this one,

A 32.5-kg block (m1) is on a horizontal surface, connected to a 6.9-kg block (m2) by a massless string as shown in the Figure. The pulley is massless and frictionless. A force of 223.3 N acts on m1 at an angle of 30.1o. The coefficient of kinetic friction between m1 and the surface is 0.213. Determine the upward acceleration of m2.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I determined the net force on m1 as follows

F=223.3Cos(30.1)-(m1*g-223.3Sin(30.1))*.213 - m2*g.

Then I determined the acceleration of m1 by dividing the net force by 32.5kg. I assumed that the acceleration of m1 and m2 should be the same so i got an answer of 2.51 m/s^2.

The online homework says this is wrong, what am I missing?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
figure?

Here it is

Attachments

• phys.jpg
    phys.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 395
zzinfinity said:
I determined the net force on m1 as follows

F=223.3Cos(30.1)-(m1*g-223.3Sin(30.1))*.213 - m2*g.

Why is the term m2*g in the above equation?

The weight of m2 creates tension on the rope, which exerts a rightward force on m1, so don't you have to factor that into the net force on m1? m2*g is the weight of m2.

zzinfinity said:
The weight of m2 creates tension on the rope, which exerts a rightward force on m1

The above is correct but the rest of the statement is not correct.

You will see why it is not correct if you consider m2. Is not m2 accelerating upwards?

Thanks! got it.

Related to What is the solution to the Moving Blocks Problem?

1. What is the "moving blocks problem"?

The "moving blocks problem" is a mathematical problem that involves arranging a set of blocks in a specific order by moving them one at a time. The goal of the problem is to find the minimum number of moves required to reach the desired arrangement.

2. What is the origin of the "moving blocks problem"?

The "moving blocks problem" was first introduced in a 1981 paper by mathematicians E. Demaine and R. Rivest. It was inspired by a real-life problem of moving furniture in a room without any empty space.

3. What are the applications of the "moving blocks problem"?

The "moving blocks problem" has applications in various fields such as computer science, robotics, and operations research. It can be used to model real-life problems involving rearranging objects or optimizing movements in constrained spaces.

4. How is the "moving blocks problem" solved?

There are various approaches to solving the "moving blocks problem", including mathematical algorithms and computer simulations. One common approach is the "divide and conquer" method, where the problem is broken down into smaller subproblems that are easier to solve.

5. Are there different variations of the "moving blocks problem"?

Yes, there are several variations of the "moving blocks problem", such as the "sliding block puzzle" and the "Tower of Hanoi". Each variation has its own set of rules and constraints, but they all share the same goal of rearranging blocks in a specific order with the minimum number of moves.