What is the solution to the Center of Mass Canoe Problem?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a woman standing in a canoe and her movement causing the canoe to move. The person asking for help explains their calculations and asks for assistance in finding their mistake, while the expert explains the correct way to calculate the center of mass. The conversation ends with the person understanding their mistake and thanking the expert for their help.
itsme24
Hi there,

I have a question about what I'm doing wrong with the following problem:

A 45.0-kg woman stands up in a 60.0-kg canoe of length 5.00 m. She walks from a point 1.00 m from one end to a point 1.00 m from the other end. If you ignore resistance to motion of the canoe in the water, how far does the canoe move during this process?

What I did was found the x coordinate of the center of mass by doing the following math:

m_w= 45.0kg, x_w1 = 1m
m_c= 60.0kg, x_c1= 0m

x_cm = [(45.0kg*1m) + 0] / (45.0kg + 60.0kg)
x_cm = 0.429m

Then I used the same x-coordinate of the center of mass and used the second coordinate for the woman to find the second coordinate of the canoe:

x_w2 = 4m

0.429m = [(45.0kg*4m) + (60.0kg*x_c2)] / (45.0kg + 60.0kg)
x_c2 = -2.25m

Now that seems right since the ratio between the masses is 45/60 and the distance the woman traveled was 3m so 3m*0.75 = 2.25, but the answer listed is 1.29m... I would like to know if someone can see anything that I'm missing or have done wrong, it is really frustrating me. :(

Physics news on Phys.org
Your center of mass calculation seems to be wrong, since the canoe is not included.

Well I included the mass of the canoe when I divided. I have the initial position of the canoe equal to 0 is there a different number I should use for that?

itsme24 said:
Well I included the mass of the canoe when I divided. I have the initial position of the canoe equal to 0 is there a different number I should use for that?

How you set the coordinate system does not matter. Let's say you set it on the beginning of the canoe. You would have: Xc = (Mw Xw + Mc Xc) / (Mw + Mc) = (45*1 + 60*2.5)/(60 + 45) = 1.857. If you set the coordinate system in the middle of the canou, you would have Xc = (45*(-1.5) + 60*0)/(60 + 45) = -0.643. You can convince yourself easily that this is the same point.

awww I see, so if I want the initial position of the canoe to be 0 I would have to set the coordinate in the center of the canoe making the woman's initial position -1.5. Ok, well that makes sense, thanks Radou.

Related to What is the solution to the Center of Mass Canoe Problem?

What is the "Center of Mass Canoe Problem"?

The "Center of Mass Canoe Problem" is a physics problem that involves determining the center of mass of a canoe with two passengers, and how it shifts as the passengers move around.

Why is the "Center of Mass Canoe Problem" important?

This problem is important because it helps us understand how the distribution of weight affects the stability and maneuverability of a canoe. It also has real-world applications in designing and balancing boats and other watercraft.

How do you calculate the center of mass of a canoe?

The center of mass of a canoe can be calculated by finding the weighted average of the two passengers' positions. This is done by multiplying each passenger's weight by their distance from the center of the canoe, adding the products, and dividing by the total weight of the canoe and passengers.

What factors affect the center of mass of a canoe?

The center of mass of a canoe is affected by the positions and weights of the passengers, as well as the shape and weight distribution of the canoe itself. Additionally, any external forces such as wind or waves can also affect the center of mass.

What happens to the center of mass when the passengers move around in the canoe?

When the passengers move around in the canoe, the center of mass shifts accordingly. If one passenger moves closer to the bow or stern, the center of mass will shift in that direction. This can affect the stability and maneuverability of the canoe, and it is important for the passengers to move carefully and communicate with each other to maintain balance.