What is the solution to the absolute function problem?

In summary, the book gives two solutions for the homework statement: one is ##1 \leq x \leq \sqrt{3}## and the other is ##-1 \leq x \leq -\sqrt{3}##. The first solution can be obtained by multiplying a range by ##-1##, while the second solution can be obtained by multiplying a range by ##1##.
adjacent
Gold Member

Homework Statement

##|x^2-2| \leq 1##
Find ##x##

The Attempt at a Solution

##x^2-2\leq 1##
##x \leq \sqrt{3}##

and

##-(x^2-2)\leq 1##
##-x^2+2 \leq 1##
##x \geq 1##

Therefore the solution is ##1 \leq x \leq \sqrt{3}##
However the book gives another solution which is ##-1 \leq x \leq -\sqrt{3}##
I don't know how the latter solution is found out. How can a range be multiplied by ##-1##?

Physics news on Phys.org
be careful when taking the square root.
[tex]x^2 \geq 1[/tex]
does not imply x is positive.

adjacent said:

Homework Statement

##|x^2-2| \leq 1##
Find ##x##

The Attempt at a Solution

##x^2-2\leq 1##
##x \leq \sqrt{3}##

and

##-(x^2-2)\leq 1##
##-x^2+2 \leq 1##
##x \geq 1##

Therefore the solution is ##1 \leq x \leq \sqrt{3}##
However the book gives another solution which is ##-1 \leq x \leq -\sqrt{3}##
I don't know how the latter solution is found out. How can a range be multiplied by ##-1##?

Draw the graph of ##y = x^2-2## over some reasonable x-range. On the same plot, draw horizontal lines ##y = 1## and ##y =-1##. What does your plot show?

BruceW said:
be careful when taking the square root.
[tex]x^2 \geq 1[/tex]
does not imply x is positive.
If that's the case, can't we write ##-1 \leq x \leq \sqrt{3}## or ##1 \leq x \leq -\sqrt{3}##
Why should we make the two square roots have the same sign?

Ray Vickson said:
Draw the graph of ##y = x^2-2## over some reasonable x-range. On the same plot, draw horizontal lines ##y = 1## and ##y =-1##. What does your plot show?
Here it is.

I don't see anything special in it :confused:

Attachments

• graph.png
    graph.png
    5.8 KB · Views: 386
adjacent said:
Here it is.

I don't see anything special in it :confused:

Oh? You can't see what points on the graph ##y = x^2-2## lie between y = -1 and y = +1?

Ray Vickson said:
Oh? You can't see what points on the graph ##y = x^2-2## lie between y = -1 and y = +1?
##1## to ##\sqrt{3}## when ##x>0## and ##-\sqrt{3}## to ##-1## when ##x<0##?
But I am not supposed to draw a graph. :confused:

adjacent said:
##1## to ##\sqrt{3}## when ##x>0## and ##-\sqrt{3}## to ##-1## when ##x<0##?
But I am not supposed to draw a graph. :confused:

So, don't tell anybody. You just use the graph to get a "feel" for what is going on, and to help you keep your thinking straight. After you have used the graph like that you can throw it away. That is what we all do!

adjacent said:
If that's the case, can't we write ##-1 \leq x \leq \sqrt{3}## or ##1 \leq x \leq -\sqrt{3}##

You should see something wrong immediately with one of these: it is really true that [itex] 1 \le -\sqrt 3 [/itex]?

adjacent said:
It's easier if you look at it this way: You got to the point
$$1 \le x^2 \le 3.$$ Now take the square root, remembering that ##\sqrt {x^2} = \lvert x \rvert##.

Likes 1 person
adjacent said:
Well, your choice at the start of your solution is an if statement.
IF ##x^2 \geq 2## then ##x^2-2 \leq 1## and a bunch of stuff follows
ELSE IF ##x^2 \leq 2## then ##-x^2+2 \leq 1## and a bunch of stuff follows
So you have to treat the two IF statements as completely separate things. You cannot carry results over from one IF statement into the other IF statement. I hope that answers your question. I wasn't totally sure what you meant.

p.s. I think the other solution given by the book should be ##-\sqrt{3} \leq x \leq -1## not ##-1 \leq x \leq -\sqrt{3}##

Ray Vickson said:
So, don't tell anybody. You just use the graph to get a "feel" for what is going on, and to help you keep your thinking straight. After you have used the graph like that you can throw it away. That is what we all do!
Ok :smile:
statdad said:
You should see something wrong immediately with one of these: it is really true that [itex] 1 \le -\sqrt 3 [/itex]?
:shy: No. What about [itex] -1 \le \sqrt 3 [/itex]
vela said:
It's easier if you look at it this way: You got to the point
$$1 \le x^2 \le 3.$$ Now take the square root, remembering that ##\sqrt {x^2} = \lvert x \rvert##.
Oh. This seems to be a good way. Thanks
BruceW said:
Well, your choice at the start of your solution is an if statement.
IF ##x^2 \geq 2## then ##x^2-2 \leq 1## and a bunch of stuff follows
ELSE IF ##x^2 \leq 2## then ##-x^2+2 \leq 1## and a bunch of stuff follows
So you have to treat the two IF statements as completely separate things. You cannot carry results over from one IF statement into the other IF statement. I hope that answers your question. I wasn't totally sure what you meant.
Where did ##x^2 \geq 2## come from?
BruceW said:
p.s. I think the other solution given by the book should be ##-\sqrt{3} \leq x \leq -1## not ##-1 \leq x \leq -\sqrt{3}##
Yes. It was a typo. :shy:

adjacent said:
Where did ##x^2 \geq 2## come from?
This was your implied "choice" when you said ##|x^2-2|=x^2-2##. The other possible choice was ##|x^2-2|=-x^2+2## which occurs iff ##x^2 \leq 2##. So anyway, the point I was hoping to get across is that the two cases ##x^2 \geq 2## and ##x^2 \leq 2## should be considered as separate solutions to the problem. It is not OK to carry over results from one case to the other. Also, as I said before, I am not totally sure if this was where you were having trouble anyway, but I was hoping it might be useful.

Likes 1 person

Related to What is the solution to the absolute function problem?

1. What is an absolute function problem?

An absolute function problem is a type of mathematical problem that involves finding the absolute value of a given number or expression. The absolute value of a number is its distance from zero on a number line, always resulting in a positive value.

2. How do I solve an absolute function problem?

To solve an absolute function problem, you can follow these steps: 1. Identify the absolute value sign in the problem.2. Rewrite the absolute value expression as two separate equations, one with a positive value and one with a negative value.3. Solve each equation separately.4. Check your solutions by plugging them back into the original problem.

3. What are some real-life applications of absolute function problems?

Absolute function problems can be found in many areas of science and technology, such as calculating the distance between two points, determining the magnitude of an earthquake, or finding the error in a scientific measurement.

4. Can absolute function problems have multiple solutions?

Yes, absolute function problems can have multiple solutions. This is because the absolute value of a number can be the same for both a positive and negative value. For example, the absolute value of -5 is also 5.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when solving absolute function problems?

One common mistake when solving absolute function problems is forgetting to consider both the positive and negative solutions. Another mistake is incorrectly distributing the negative sign when rewriting the absolute value expression as separate equations.