What is the solution for the total resistance of the infinite ladder network?

In summary, the total resistance of the infinite ladder network with each resistor being 1 ohm is approximately 2/3 ohms. The approach to solving this is to see if there is a symmetry that allows for folding up the parallel-series combinations, leading to the equation RL = 1/(1/R + 1/(2*R+RL)). Solving this for R = 1 results in RL = 2/3 ohms.
strangequark

Homework Statement

Find the total resistance (each R = 1 ohm) of the infinite ladder network that looks something like this:
Code:
!--------!------R-----!------R----!------R-----!----- etc
!        !            !           !            !
V        R            R           R            R
!        !            !           !            !
!--------!------R-----!------R----!------ R----!----- etc

Homework Equations

I assume the revelant equations are:

1/Ra+1/Rb=1/Rab or Rab=(RaRb)/(Ra+Rb) (in parallel)

and Ra+Rb=Rab (in series)

The Attempt at a Solution

Now, I keep wanting to say that the resistors on the top and bottom are in parallel, and that each center resistor is in series with the parallel combo... so I get something like:

1/2 + 1= (3/2) ~ 1.5for the first tier:

Then 3/8+1= 11/8 ~1.375 for the second,

Then 11/30+1= 41/30 ~ 1.36667 for the third

Then 41/112+1= 153/112 ~ 1.36607 for the fourth

and so on...

Now, it is looking like it might converge to some finite value in the quasi-near future... so i might not be completely wrong, but it would be nice to know prior to staying up all night looking for an infinite series to represent it.

Is this correct, or if not, can someone please steer me in the right direction?

Any assistance is much appreciated...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to the PF stragequark.

It's hard to visualize the resistor ladder that you are asking about. Maybe try the "code" keyword in square brackets "[]" to force non-proportional spacing, or just attach a PDF or other document.

With long or infinite ladder configurations, I'll try to see if there is a symmetry that let's me fold up the parallel-series combinations below. Kind of like how an R-2R ladder DAC works.

Suppose the resistance of the whole ladder is RL.

Then the following two circuits have the same resistance:
Code:
!--------!
!        !
V        RL
!        ! 
!--------!

and

Code:
!--------!------R-----!
!        !            !
V        R            RL
!        !            !
!--------!------R-----!

This is a common way of analysing transmission lines, etc.

All you need to do is solve this equation:
RL = 1/(1/R + 1/(2*R+RL))

And if R = 1:
RL = 1/(1 + 1/(2+RL))

Last edited:

Related to What is the solution for the total resistance of the infinite ladder network?

1. What is an infinite ladder of resistors?

An infinite ladder of resistors is a theoretical circuit that consists of an infinite number of resistors connected in series. This results in an infinite resistance value, making it impossible to measure with physical instruments.

2. How does an infinite ladder of resistors work?

In an infinite ladder of resistors, the resistance value of each resistor is added together, resulting in an infinitely large resistance. This means that no current can pass through the circuit, making it effectively an open circuit.

3. Can an infinite ladder of resistors exist in real life?

No, an infinite ladder of resistors cannot exist in real life as it is a theoretical concept. In practical circuits, the number of resistors is limited and there will always be a finite resistance value.

4. What are the practical applications of an infinite ladder of resistors?

An infinite ladder of resistors is often used in theoretical calculations and circuit analysis to simplify complex circuits. It can also be used to demonstrate the concept of infinite resistance and the behavior of a series circuit with an infinite number of resistors.

5. How does an infinite ladder of resistors affect the overall resistance of a circuit?

The overall resistance of a circuit with an infinite ladder of resistors will be equal to the resistance of the infinite ladder itself. This means that the circuit will have an extremely high resistance, resulting in no current flow and effectively acting as an open circuit.