What is the smallest possible value of y for given x and y?

In summary, we are looking for the smallest possible value of $y$ when $\dfrac{7}{10}<\dfrac{x}{y}<\dfrac{11}{15}$ for positive integers $x$ and $y$. While the solution provided may not be elegant, as long as it leads to the correct solution, it can still be considered valid.
anemone
Gold Member
MHB
POTW Director
Let $x,\,y$ be positive integers such that $\dfrac{7}{10}<\dfrac{x}{y}<\dfrac{11}{15}$. Find the smallest possible value of $y$.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
anemone said:
Let $x,\,y$ be positive integers such that $\dfrac{7}{10}<\dfrac{x}{y}<\dfrac{11}{15}$. Find the smallest possible value of $y$.
$\dfrac{7}{10}<\dfrac{x}{y}<\dfrac{11}{15}$

Multiplying throughout by $30y$, we get

$21y<30x<22y$

So we have to find a multiple of 30 lying between multiples of 21 and 22.

Multiples of 30 are 30, 60, 90, 120, 150, 180, 210, ...

Writing down multiples of 21 and 22,

21 22 y=1
42 44 y=2
63 66 y=3
84 88 y=4
105 110 y=5
126 132 y=6
147 154 y=7

Aha...150 lies between 147 and 154 for y=7.
So, the smallest possible value of y is 7.

(Sorry that my solution is not elegant.)

Last edited:
Thanks for participating, Alexmahone! Your answer is correct!

Alexmahone said:

(Sorry that my proof is not elegant.)

I think as long as a solution led to the correct solution, it can be deemed as an elegant solution, no? :eek:

anemone said:
Thanks for participating, Alexmahone! Your answer is correct!
I think as long as a solution led to the correct solution, it can be deemed as an elegant solution, no? :eek:

You're welcome!

But my solution is just brute-force. I hope you or someone else has a better solution.

Solution from other:
Suppose $y \le 6$. Then $y$ is a divisor of 60 and hence $\dfrac{x}{y}=\dfrac{a}{60}$, where $a$ is a composite number.

But notice that $\dfrac{7}{10}=\dfrac{42}{60}$ and $\dfrac{11}{15}=\dfrac{44}{60}$, this tells us $a=43$, which leads to a contradiction.

Hence, the smallest possible value of $y$ is 7.

anemone said:
$\dfrac {21y}{30y}<\dfrac {30x}{30y} <\dfrac {22y}{30y}$
$21y<30x ----(1)$
$30x<22y----(2)$
now we must find the smallest values of $x,y$ satisfying both (1) and (2)
and we get :$x=5,y=7$

Related to What is the smallest possible value of y for given x and y?

1. What is "Inequality Challenge II"?

"Inequality Challenge II" is a research project aimed at studying and addressing economic and social inequalities in our society. It involves analyzing data, conducting experiments, and proposing solutions to mitigate inequalities.

2. Why is "Inequality Challenge II" important?

Inequality is a pervasive issue that has a significant impact on individuals, communities, and societies as a whole. By addressing and reducing inequalities, we can create a more fair and just society where everyone has equal opportunities to thrive.

3. How does "Inequality Challenge II" address inequalities?

The project uses a multi-faceted approach to address inequalities. It includes analyzing data to identify patterns and factors contributing to inequalities, conducting experiments to test potential solutions, and proposing policy recommendations to reduce inequalities.

4. Who can participate in "Inequality Challenge II"?

Anyone with a background or interest in research, economics, or social sciences can participate in "Inequality Challenge II". This includes scientists, researchers, policymakers, and individuals from diverse backgrounds.

5. What are the expected outcomes of "Inequality Challenge II"?

The expected outcomes of "Inequality Challenge II" include a better understanding of inequalities and their underlying causes, evidence-based solutions to reduce inequalities, and policy recommendations for addressing inequalities at a larger scale.