What is the significance of the infinite square well width in quantum mechanics?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of the infinite square well in quantum mechanics. It is mentioned that the boundaries of the well can be expressed as -L/2 and L/2 or 0 and L, with the width of the well being L in both cases. The result of solving the Schrodinger equation provides the wave function, which can be multiplied by its complex conjugate to obtain the probability density. Integrating this density between two points gives the probability of finding the particle between those points. The conversation also clarifies that the boundaries of the well can be any two points, either on the boundaries or within the well itself. The particle is always inside the well, and choosing the boundaries as end points will result in a
Miquelyn10
I am new to quantum mechanics so I am just trying to get an understanding of the infinite square well. I have been reading a lot of material and I see a lot of times that the barriers of the well say -L/2 and L/2. I know that outside the well to the left is -infinity and to the right is infinity. Does the left barrier always have to be zero? The examples I am finding all have it that when. Can you just arbitrarily pick the width of the well? Also, the result you get from the well is the probably the particle is going to be in that spot inside the well, correct? Does that mean if I have my barriers at 1 and 2 the result will be the probably that it will be between 1 and 2 or will it actually give me where between one and two it is going to be? Thanks for all your help in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm having a hard time following what your actual questions are but I'll give it a go. I'll try to paraphrase your questions above my answers (in bold). If I do not have your question correct, please tell me.

1. Some books have the well spanning from -L/2 to L/2, others from 0 to L. Does it matter?

In short no. In both cases, the width of the well is the same. It is L. The wave functions you get out of the Schrodinger equation will look slightly different (i.e. the phase will be shifted) because the boundary conditions are different, but physically, it's the same problem modeled in two different coordinate systems, so all observables you measure will be the same.

2. What does the result of solving the Shrodinger Equation tell you?

By solving the Sch.E.Q., you get the wavefunction, which contains all the information available about the system.

If you multiple the wave function by its complex conjugate, you will get a probability density.

If you integrate this probability density between two points, you will get the probability of finding the particle between those two points.

Thanks for your response. The part about the well spanning is they have the barrier's points are actually -L/2 and L/2 with the width of the well as L. Why do they divide it by two? I hope this makes sense.

I guess when I integrate by the two points are those two points the barriers on the well or can they be two points within the well?

Miquelyn10 said:
Thanks for your response. The part about the well spanning is they have the barrier's points are actually -L/2 and L/2 with the width of the well as L. Why do they divide it by two? I hope this makes sense.

If the well's boundaries were at -L and L, the total with of the well would be 2L. Thus, if we want a well, centered at 0, to have a total width of L, it should extend 1/2L to the right, and 1/2L to the left. So, it's boundaries are at L/2 and -L/2.

I guess when I integrate by the two points are those two points the barriers on the well or can they be two points within the well?

They can be any two points, either on the boundaries or not.

By definition, the particle has to be inside the infinite well. Thus, if you pick the boundaries as your end points, you will get a result of 1 or 100% probability for finding the particle in that range. (Assuming your wave function is normalized, of course.)

Thank you so much for you help!

Related to What is the significance of the infinite square well width in quantum mechanics?

What is an Infinite Square Well?

An Infinite Square Well is a theoretical model used in quantum mechanics to represent a particle confined within an infinite potential well. This means that the particle is restricted to a certain region and cannot escape.

How is the width of the Infinite Square Well determined?

The width of the Infinite Square Well is determined by the distance between the two infinite potential barriers. This distance is often denoted as “a” and is used to calculate the energy levels of the particle within the well.

What is the significance of the Infinite Square Well width?

The width of the Infinite Square Well is significant because it determines the energy levels and probabilities of finding the particle within the well. A wider well will result in higher energy levels and a higher probability of finding the particle at certain points within the well.

What happens if the width of the Infinite Square Well is increased?

If the width of the Infinite Square Well is increased, the energy levels of the particle within the well will also increase. This means that the particle will have more energy and a higher probability of being found at certain points within the well. However, the overall shape and properties of the well will remain the same.

How does the Infinite Square Well width affect the behavior of a particle?

The width of the Infinite Square Well affects the behavior of a particle by restricting its movement and determining its energy levels. A wider well will allow the particle to move more freely and have higher energy levels, while a narrower well will restrict its movement and result in lower energy levels.