What is the significance of the gravitational constant?

In summary, in physics class, it was learned that everything accelerates towards each other at a constant value of 6.67 x 10-11, known as the gravitational constant G. This is used to calculate the force between two objects, while the acceleration of an object at a certain distance from another can be found by taking its mass out of the formula. The acceleration of objects due to gravity is represented by little g, which is 9.8 m/s2 on Earth's surface. The gravitational constant G was measured by Henry Cavendish using a torsion setup.
GreatEscapist
In my physics class, we learned that everything accelerates towards each other at 6.67 x 10-11. I'm not sure what about that doesn't make sense (We didn't talk about it much, but we're expected to know about it) but something doesn't. How can EVERYTHING accelerate at the gravity? Uhhh, wouldn't a bigger mass go faster? Earth goes 9.8 m/s2, so where does G come into play?
And how the crap did someone figure that out, anyway?

Physics news on Phys.org
GreatEscapist said:
In my physics class, we learned that everything accelerates towards each other at 6.67 x 10-11.
:confused: That's the gravitational constant G (in m3 kg-1 s-2), not the acceleration of anything.

GreatEscapist said:
In my physics class, we learned that everything accelerates towards each other at 6.67 x 10-11. I

This is incorrect. To find the force between 2 objects with respect to each other we use the following formula [tex]\ F=G \frac{m1*m2}{r^2}[/tex]. Where m1 and m2 represent the mass of the objects and r is the distance between them.G is your gravitational constant which is not an acceleration . To find the acceleration on one of the objects at a certain distance from the other you take its mass out of the formula. The acceleration of object 2 at distance r from object 1 is [tex]\ a=G \frac{m1}{r^2}[/tex] directed from 2 to 1

Last edited:
GreatEscapist said:
In my physics class, we learned that everything accelerates towards each other at 6.67 x 10-11. I'm not sure what about that doesn't make sense (We didn't talk about it much, but we're expected to know about it) but something doesn't. How can EVERYTHING accelerate at the gravity? Uhhh, wouldn't a bigger mass go faster? Earth goes 9.8 m/s2, so where does G come into play?
And how the crap did someone figure that out, anyway?
You may also be confusing little g with big G. The 9.8 m/s2 that you referred to is little g, and it is an acceleration. It is the acceleration that all objects fall at surface of the earth. Big G is as the previous posters described. You may find this page helpful: http://csep10.phys.utk.edu/astr161/lect/history/Newtongrav.html

Oh.
This would explain why my homework always comes out wrong.

G was measured by Henry Cavendish using a torsion setup , google it to get more precise details.

Related to What is the significance of the gravitational constant?

1. What is the gravitational constant?

The gravitational constant, denoted as G, is a fundamental constant in physics that represents the strength of the gravitational force between two objects. It is used in the equation for calculating the force of gravity, F = G(m1)(m2)/r^2, where m1 and m2 are the masses of the two objects and r is the distance between them.

2. What is the value of the gravitational constant?

The value of the gravitational constant is approximately 6.674 x 10^-11 m^3/kg*s^2. This value was determined by British scientist Henry Cavendish in the late 18th century through his famous "Cavendish experiment" which measured the force of gravity between two lead spheres.

3. Is the gravitational constant constant?

Yes, the gravitational constant is constant. This means that its value does not change regardless of the masses or distances of the objects involved. However, it is important to note that the gravitational force itself can vary depending on the masses and distances of the objects.

4. Why is the gravitational constant important?

The gravitational constant is important because it allows us to understand and calculate the force of gravity between objects. It is a key component in many equations and theories of physics, including Newton's law of universal gravitation and Einstein's theory of general relativity.

5. How is the gravitational constant related to the mass of the Earth?

The gravitational constant is related to the mass of the Earth in the sense that it allows us to calculate the force of gravity between the Earth and other objects. The mass of the Earth is used in the equation for calculating the gravitational force, and the value of G is a constant in this equation.