What is the significance of the Dirac equation in understanding antimatter?

• Thread starter Haibara Ai
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Antimatter
In summary, the equation predicts that two electrons will annihilate (destroy each other) to form a positron (anti-electron), and this has been verified by observation.
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Haibara! :smile:

(have a gamma: γ and a mu: µ and a psi: ψ and try using the X2 and X2 tags just above the Reply box :wink:)

This is Dirac's equation for an electron (or any other spin-half particle), with hbar = c = 1 …

(iγµµ - m)ψ …

or, in full …

i(γ0∂ψ/∂x0 + γ1∂ψ/∂x1 + γ2∂ψ/∂x2 + γ3∂ψ/∂x3) = mψ

ψ is a 4-component vector, and the gammas are 4x4 matrices

Paul Dirac invented it around 1928, and used it to predict that the electron had an anti-particle (the positron, which is antimatter), which was discovered many years later. :smile:

For some more (but not very helpful :rolleyes:) detail, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dirac's_equation

here is a complete course in relativistic quantum mechanics

http://www.phys.uAlberta.ca/~gingrich/phys512/latex2html/node20.html

Last edited by a moderator:
tiny-tim said:
Hi Haibara! :smile:

(have a gamma: γ and a mu: µ and a psi: ψ and try using the X2 and X2 tags just above the Reply box :wink:)

This is Dirac's equation for an electron (or any other spin-half particle), with hbar = c = 1 …

(iγµµ - m)ψ …

or, in full …

i(γ0∂ψ/∂x0 + γ1∂ψ/∂x1 + γ2∂ψ/∂x2 + γ3∂ψ/∂x3) = mψ

ψ is a 4-component vector, and the gammas are 4x4 matrices

Paul Dirac invented it around 1928, and used it to predict that the electron had an anti-particle (the positron, which is antimatter), which was discovered many years later. :smile:

For some more (but not very helpful :rolleyes:) detail, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dirac's_equation

tiny tim i got a question, i am a beginner in physics but i have being reading about the hypothetical neutralino the particle that is say to be the dark matter particle and my doubt is the annihilations between tem caused by the weak force.Thank you very much for your help.

richard14 said:
tiny tim i got a question, i am a beginner in physics but i have being reading about the hypothetical neutralino the particle that is say to be the dark matter particle and my doubt is the annihilations between tem caused by the weak force.Thank you very much for your help.

erm :redface: … that's completely different …

please start a new thread :smile:

Thanks, that helped a lot!

Related to What is the significance of the Dirac equation in understanding antimatter?

What is antimatter?

Antimatter is a form of matter that is made up of particles with the same mass as regular matter, but with opposite electrical charges.

What is the equation for antimatter?

The equation for antimatter is E=mc^2, where E is energy, m is mass, and c is the speed of light. This equation was proposed by Albert Einstein and represents the relationship between mass and energy.

How is antimatter created?

Antimatter can be created in a laboratory using particle accelerators or in natural processes such as high-energy collisions in space. It can also be produced through radioactive decay or during nuclear reactions.

What are the potential applications of antimatter?

Antimatter has the potential to be used as a powerful energy source or as a propulsion system for spacecraft. It is also used in medical imaging and cancer treatment.

What are the challenges in studying and harnessing antimatter?

One of the biggest challenges in studying and harnessing antimatter is its instability and the difficulty in producing and storing it. It is also very expensive to create and requires advanced technology to contain and study it.