What is the significance of r-hat in the calculation of electrostatic force?

• Thread starter Ashley1nOnly
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Reason
In summary, the equations provided help us calculate the force between two charges by using the inverse square law and unit vectors. The use of r-hat indicates a unit vector pointing in the direction of the vector r, while r=|r(bold)| represents the magnitude of the vector. The bottom being cubed in one of the equations is due to the definition of the unit vector. When using Xi-Xj, the order of the charges depends on which charge you are calculating the force on with respect to the other.
Ashley1nOnly

Homework Statement

F=(KQ1Q2)/r^2 • (r-hat)
Why are we multiplying by r-hat?
I understand that the equation helps us calculate the force between two charges.

The book says that r=|r(bold)|
I know that this is the magnitude sqrt(rx^2+ry^2+rz^2)
rx= r with respect to the X position and so on.
But we can neglect z since the charges are not in the k direction
Why does r=|r(bold)|?

If the charges has the same charge then it's just
F=(KQ^2)/r^2 • (r-hat)
Why are we multiplying by r-hat?Then I am also given another equation

F=(KQ1Q2) •(x1-x2)/(|x1-x2|^3)

Why did we get rid of r^2 and multiply by the unit vector ?

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

I just have question to better understand. Sorry if this is a stupid question.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ashley1nOnly said:
F=(KQ1Q2)/r^2 • (r-hat)
Why are we multiplying by r-hat?
I understand that the equation helps us calculate the force between two charges.
A hat sign above a variable indicates a unit vector: the magnatude of the vector is equal to 1.
In this case, ##\hat r = \vec r/|\vec r|## ... ie, ##\hat r## points in the direction of ##\vec r## but has length 1.

The cartesian unit vectors i, j, k, should really be ##\hat\imath##, ##\hat\jmath## and ##\hat k## and can also be called ##\hat x, \hat y, \hat z##.
Your text uses bold-face to represent a general vector so ##|{\bf v}| = |\vec v| = v## and the magnitude can be any real number.

The point of using it in equations like above is to indicate the preferred positive direction.
However, as you wrote it, the equation is misleading ... it does not properly define the vector ##\vec r##.
usually we would want to put ##q_1## at position ##\vec r_1## and ##q_2## at position ##\vec r_2## and say that the force on charge 2 due to charge 1 is:
$$\vec F_{21} = \frac{kq_1q_2}{|\vec r_{21}|^3}\vec r_{21}: \vec r_{ij} = \vec r_i - \vec r_j$$ ... notice the cube in the denominator?
If you use ##\hat r_{21} = \vec r_{21}/|\vec r_{21}|## you get a unit vector pointing from 1 to 2 (check I got that right.)

The book says that r=|r(bold)|
##r = |{\bf r}|## ... right: the bold-face indicates an arbitrary vector type, we like to use an arrow over the top of the letter.
I know that this is the magnitude sqrt(rx^2+ry^2+rz^2)
##r = \sqrt{r_x^2+r_y^2+r_z^2}## yes, well done.
That is because ##\vec r = r_x\hat\imath + r_y\hat\jmath + r_z\hat k##
rx= r with respect to the X position and so on.
But we can neglect z since the charges are not in the k direction
... not strictly correct: but you can anticipate the result to make your maths easier to do.
Since there are two charges, and you want to know the force on charge 2 due to the presence of charge 1, it makes sense to choose your coordinates system so the origin is on charge 1, and the x-axis goes through charge 2 (unless you get told to do it otherwise) ... then ##\vec r_1=(0,0,0)## and ##\vec r_2 = (x,0,0) = x\hat\imath##
Put that into the more complete equation I gave you above and see what happens.
(notice, in this case the x direction and the ##\vec r_2## direction are the same direction, so ##\hat r = \hat\imath## and ##r=x##)

Why does r=|r(bold)|?
[/quote]Because it says so ... that bit of math is telling you that the label "r" is going to be used to represent the magnatude of the vector ##\bf r##.

This is an amazing explanation.
Why was the bottom cubed?
When doing Xi-Xj, how do you know which charge position to put first. I believe that if you are looking for the force in charge 2 with respect to charge one that Xi would be charge 1 and Xj would be charge 2

If you are looking for the force on charge 2 with respect to charge 1 that Xi would be 2 and Xj would be 1. Is my thinking right?

Ashley1nOnly said:
Why was the bottom cubed?
Note the definition ##\hat r_{21} = \vec r_{21} / | \vec r_{21}|##. Substitute it into $$\vec F_{21} = \frac {k q_1 q_2} {|\vec r_{21}|^2} \hat r_{21}$$

Got it. Thanks so much to you all.

Ashley1nOnly said:
This is an amazing explanation.
When doing Xi-Xj, how do you know which charge position to put first. I believe that if you are looking for the force in charge 2 with respect to charge one that Xi would be charge 1 and Xj would be charge 2

If you are looking for the force on charge 2 with respect to charge 1 that Xi would be 2 and Xj would be 1. Is my thinking right?
The maths is a language. Draw a picture and then describe the picture using the maths. I don't actually remember these equations, I just remembered that it was an inverse square law and like charges repel. If you end up with like charges moving towards each other, you did it wrong.

Got it. Thanks so much to you all.
... well done :)

Related to What is the significance of r-hat in the calculation of electrostatic force?

What is the reason for r-hat?

The reason for r-hat is to measure the correlation between a set of observed data and a theoretical model. It is used in statistics to assess the fit of a model to the data and to determine the strength of the relationship between variables.

How is r-hat calculated?

R-hat, also known as the coefficient of determination, is calculated by taking the square of the correlation coefficient (r). This value ranges from 0 to 1, with a higher value indicating a stronger relationship between the variables.

Why is r-hat important in scientific research?

R-hat is important in scientific research because it helps researchers determine the accuracy and reliability of their data and models. It allows for the evaluation of the strength and direction of relationships between variables, which is crucial in understanding and explaining phenomena.

What does a high or low r-hat value indicate?

A high r-hat value close to 1 indicates a strong correlation between the observed data and the theoretical model, while a low value close to 0 indicates a weak or no correlation. Negative values indicate an inverse relationship between the variables.

Are there any limitations to using r-hat?

Yes, there are limitations to using r-hat. It only measures linear relationships between variables and does not account for other factors that may influence the relationship. Additionally, it can be affected by outliers and may not accurately represent the entire population.