What is the shape of a mass vs. acceleration graph?

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between mass and acceleration, and whether mass is the dependent or independent variable in this scenario. It is concluded that mass is constant and does not depend on acceleration, resulting in a horizontal line when graphed. However, it is noted that in special relativity, mass is not constant and can change with an increase in velocity.
liz777
The mass is constant, and there is a varying force. So would the mass be the dependent value(y-axis) and the acceleration be the independent value(x-axis)?

I think the mass is the dependent value so when I graphed it the line went straight across(horizontal). Is this right? I'm really confused because I thought acceleration was inversely proportional to mass, so it shouldn't be a linear relationship?

Physics news on Phys.org
liz777 said:
The mass is constant, and there is a varying force. So would the mass be the dependent value(y-axis) and the acceleration be the independent value(x-axis)?

I think the mass is the dependent value so when I graphed it the line went straight across(horizontal). Is this right? I'm really confused because I thought acceleration was inversely proportional to mass, so it shouldn't be a linear relationship?
You said yourself that the mass is constant. This means that for any point P(a,m) where a is acceleration and m is mass, you have the same y value (m) for any x value (a).

This is why you got a horizontal line when you graphed mass vs. acceleration; mass doesn't actually depend on the acceleration (in this case).

so we know F=ma right?
Then, if your mass is constant, then the value of mass doesn't change. Its a number like 7 or 8 or 9. TO graph mass vs acceleration is to say mass on the y-axis and acceleration on the X axis. So I think it should be something like a straight horizontal line like you said. This seems logical because your y-value that is mass stays constant but you acceleration changes, which is your x value. If this is what your graph depicts then it seems right. Cheers

Mathemagician said:
You said yourself that the mass is constant. This means that for any point P(a,m) where a is acceleration and m is mass, you have the same y value (m) for any x value (a).

This is why you got a horizontal line when you graphed mass vs. acceleration; mass doesn't actually depend on the acceleration (in this case).
as mass is constant, the acceleration is a function of force only i.e. acc is directly proportional to force applied. depending the magnitude of force the acc will change

devrana01 said:
as mass is constant, the acceleration is a function of force only i.e. acc is directly proportional to force applied. depending the magnitude of force the acc will change
The reason I said "in this case" was because in relativity, mass (or maybe more properly, momentum) is not constant with an increase in velocity.

In special relativity, the relation between mass and velocity is M=\frac{m}{\sqrt{1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}}.

Where M is the relativistic mass, and m is the rest mass. v is the velocity of the body, and c is the speed of light.

This obviously shows that M is NOT a constant.

Related to What is the shape of a mass vs. acceleration graph?

1. What does a mass vs. acceleration graph represent?

A mass vs. acceleration graph represents the relationship between an object's mass and the acceleration it experiences. It shows how the mass of an object affects its acceleration under a given force.

2. What is the shape of a mass vs. acceleration graph?

The shape of a mass vs. acceleration graph is a straight line. The line slopes upward, indicating that as mass increases, acceleration increases as well.

3. How is a mass vs. acceleration graph used in physics?

A mass vs. acceleration graph is used to study the fundamental relationship between mass and acceleration, as described by Newton's second law of motion. It can also be used to determine the mass or acceleration of an object, given the other value and the force acting on it.

4. What do the x and y axes represent on a mass vs. acceleration graph?

The x-axis represents the mass of the object, measured in kilograms. The y-axis represents the acceleration of the object, measured in meters per second squared (m/s²).

5. Can a mass vs. acceleration graph have a negative slope?

No, a mass vs. acceleration graph cannot have a negative slope. This is because mass and acceleration are always directly proportional, meaning that as one increases, the other must also increase. Therefore, the line on the graph will always slope upwards and have a positive slope.