What is the Setup Called that Collects Water from the Cu Reduction Process?

• Thread starter TT0
  • Start date
In summary: It collects any excess water vapor that may have escaped from the reaction.In summary, the setup being discussed involves a hydrogen generator, a flask containing Zn and HCl, and a CuO sample along with drying tubes. The reactions taking place include Zn + 2HCl -> ZnCl2 + H2 in the flask, H2 + CuO -> Cu + H2O in the CuO sample, and hydration of CaCl2 in the drying tubes. This setup can be used for stoichiometry experiments to calculate the amount of oxygen lost from CuO and water produced in the process. The second drying tube collects any excess water vapor that may have escaped from the reaction.
TT0
What is this setup called?

Attachments

• 00703.jpeg
    00703.jpeg
    10 KB · Views: 554
Chemistry news on Phys.org
Hydrogen generator.

Likes TT0
I can't seem to find hydrogen generator on wikipedia or other chemistry sites. Could you direct me to a link or tell me how it works?

Actually this is more complicated, hydrogen generator is just a part of the setup, and I doubt this particular setup has any particular name.

Can you try to guess what are reactions taking place in the flask, in the tube with CuO sample and in the drying tubes?

Likes TT0
In the flask:
Zn + 2HCl -> ZnCl2 + H2

In the drying tube:
I am not sure - maybe something to do with the water vapour?

In the CuO sample:
H2 + CuO -> Cu + H2O

TT0 said:
In the drying tube:
I am not sure - maybe something to do with the water vapour?

Yes, water is captured by CaCl2 as hydration water. And (that's one of the most important things in this experiment) mass of CaCl2 changes. You can easily check by how much it changed, you can also easily check by how much mass of CuO changed during reduction. That gives a nice starting point for many stoichiometry experiments.

Likes TT0
I can't think of any equations for hydration of CaCl2, could you give me some hints? Or does it create one of these things: CaCl2.H2O?

That gives a nice starting point for many stoichiometry experiments.

So are you saying that this setup is good to calculate the amount of H2 and H2O? Also what does the second drying tube

TT0 said:
does it create one of these things: CaCl2.H2O?

Yes, there are several hydrates with different numbers of hydration waters, CaCl2⋅2H2O, CaCl2⋅2H4O and CaCl2⋅6H2O.

So are you saying that this setup is good to calculate the amount of H2 and H2O?

Hydrogen? No. But you can easily check how much oxygen was lost from the CuO and how much water was produced in this process.

Also what does the second drying tube

Its mass change during the experiment - why?

Likes TT0
Also what does the second drying tube
Its mass change during the experiment - why?

I didn't finished typing it seems. What I meant was what does the second drying tube do? Does it just collect water from the Cu reduction process?

TT0 said:
Does it just collect water from the Cu reduction process?

Yes, that's exactly what it does.

Likes TT0

Related to What is the Setup Called that Collects Water from the Cu Reduction Process?

1. What is a setup called in scientific experiments?

A setup in scientific experiments is often referred to as an apparatus or equipment used to conduct an experiment or collect data. It can also be called a laboratory setup or experimental setup.

2. What is the purpose of a setup in scientific experiments?

The purpose of a setup in scientific experiments is to create a controlled and replicable environment for conducting experiments and collecting data. It ensures that the variables being tested are the only factors affecting the outcome of the experiment.

3. How is a setup designed in scientific experiments?

A setup is designed in scientific experiments based on the specific requirements of the experiment. This includes choosing the appropriate materials, measuring instruments, and experimental conditions to accurately collect data and achieve the desired results.

4. What are the components of a setup in scientific experiments?

The components of a setup in scientific experiments can vary depending on the experiment, but typically include the apparatus or equipment, measuring instruments, control variables, and any other materials needed to conduct the experiment.

5. How is a setup different from a protocol in scientific experiments?

A setup refers to the actual physical equipment and materials used in an experiment, while a protocol refers to the step-by-step instructions for conducting the experiment. In other words, a setup is the "what" of an experiment, while a protocol is the "how".