What is the Second Highest Ionization Energy?

In summary, the excited state of an oxygen atom can be depicted by the configuration 1s2 2s2 2p2 3s2. This configuration is different from the ground state of oxygen, which is 1s2 2s2 2p4. The second largest ionization energy can be found in the element K, as the removal of the first valence electron leaves a core electron that is much harder to remove. The question about the ionization energy is ambiguous, but if we consider the second ionization energy, then the element with the second largest value would be K.
Miike012
1. Which one of the following configurations depicts an excited oxygen atom?
a. 1s2 2s2 2p2
b.1s2 2s2 2p2 3s2
c.1s2 2s2 2p1
d.1s2 2s2 2p4

a. is out of the question
c. is out of the questioin

I know d. is the ground state of oxygen

but how did they get 3s2 for b.?
It must be b. But I don't understand it.

2.Which of the following has the second largest Ionization energy?
a. ca
b. K
c.Ga
d. Ge

I am guessing it is K because after its first V.E. is gone the second one would be in the core, making it much harder to remove...
??

Physics news on Phys.org
Miike012 said:
I know d. is the ground state of oxygen

OK

but how did they get 3s2 for b.?
It must be b. But I don't understand it.

Excited means there is still 8 electrons, but they not necessarily occupy lowest orbitals (that would be the ground state).

2.Which of the following has the second largest Ionization energy?
a. ca
b. K
c.Ga
d. Ge

I am guessing it is K because after its first V.E. is gone the second one would be in the core, making it much harder to remove...

Question is ambiguous to me. First possibility - take all elements, order them according to their FIRST ionization energies, tell which is the second on this list. Second possibility - take SECOND ionization energies, tell which one is the largest. Could be it is my English playing tricks on me.

In the latter case your answer seems to be right.

Related to What is the Second Highest Ionization Energy?

1. What is ionization energy?

Ionization energy is the amount of energy required to remove an electron from an atom or molecule in its gaseous state.

2. What is the significance of the second highest ionization energy?

The second highest ionization energy is significant in determining the chemical reactivity and stability of an element. It reflects the strength of the bond between the second outermost electron and the nucleus.

3. Which element has the second highest ionization energy?

The element with the second highest ionization energy is helium, with a value of 24.5874 eV.

4. How does the second highest ionization energy compare to the first highest?

The second highest ionization energy is lower than the first highest, indicating that it is easier to remove the second outermost electron compared to the first outermost electron.

5. Why does the second highest ionization energy follow a general trend on the periodic table?

The second highest ionization energy follows a general trend on the periodic table because it is influenced by the number of protons in the nucleus and the distance between the outermost electron and the nucleus. As these factors increase, the ionization energy also increases.