What Is the Second Force Acting on a Particle in Constant Motion?

In summary, the problem involves a particle moving at a constant velocity with two forces acting on it. One of the forces is given, and the other is asked to be determined in order to achieve translational equilibrium. The language used in the problem is unclear, but it seems that the intention is to test the understanding of the concept that an object with constant velocity has a total force of 0 acting on it.
Elysium
Hi, I'm a little confused with this problem:
1. While two forces are acting on it, a particle is to move continuously with v = (3 m/s) i - (4 m/s) j. One of the forces is F1 = (2N) i + (-6N) j. What is the other force? (A Newton's second law problem.)
Ok, basically what I did so far is to draw the vectors from the origin of both the velocity and the first force.
For the velocity, I made a vector(?) with a slope of (-4/3) and a magnitude of 5.
For the first force, I made a vector(?) with a slope of (-3) and a magnitude of (40)^(1/2).
Now for finding the second force, I simply "added" (4N)i - (2N)j in order to reach the velocity vector(?), but the magnitude had to be multiplied with a scalar(?) of two.
Sorry, I'm a little confused with vector definitions, I hope I got them right and what I wrote made sense. My question now is did I reach the answer or is this completely wrong? If so, how can i put this into mathematical form, instead of simply ploting vectors on a graph?

Physics news on Phys.org
While two forces are acting on it, a particle is to move continuously with v = (3 m/s) i - (4 m/s) j. One of the forces is F1 = (2N) i + (-6N) j. What is the other force? (A Newton's second law problem.)
The way I read this (unusual!) problem, the answer is quite simple. Maybe I misunderstand the problem, though.
The particle seems to be moving at constant velocity, right ?
So what's the total force on the particle then ?

vanesch said:
The way I read this (unusual!) problem, the answer is quite simple. Maybe I misunderstand the problem, though.
The particle seems to be moving at constant velocity, right ?
So what's the total force on the particle then ?

Well if there's no acceleration, then there is no force. But I don't think continuously here means that the particle is at a constant velocity. Afterall, the problem indicates that there are two existing forces.

Last edited:
Elysium said:
Well if there's no acceleration, then there is no force. But I don't think continuously here means that the particle is at a constant velocity.
That's what I couldn't really make up of the assignment either. But then the question has no answer.
Afterall, the problem indicates that there are two existing forces.
Yes, so you need to have the second force such that the total force is 0...

wait... ok, if continously here means constant velocity, then the answer is the opposite vector of (-2N) i + (6N) j to achieve translatoral equilibrium. So does continuously in the problem here mean constant velocity? :confused:

Last edited:
Elysium said:
wait... ok, if continously here means constant velocity, then the answer is the opposite vector of (-2N) i + (6N) j to achieve translatoral equilibrium. So does continuously in the problem here mean constant velocity? :confused:
As I said, I find the problem wording rather strange. But I don't see any other option, given that if you do NOT assume constant velocity, there's nothing in the description that would hint of an acceleration from which you can calculate the force. The velocity at the initial moment is useless to calculate it.
So if we do some "psychology of the one who asks the question" what could be his aim ? I think his aim is to see whether you've understood that something with constant velocity doesn't have any TOTAL force applied to it (Newton's second law!). This is an important concept. For instance, an airplane flying at constant velocity has several forces acting upon it: wing lift, motor thrust, air resistance, gravity. But the TOTAL force is zero. In order to "confuse" you he gave a vector that doesn't have anything to do with it.
But the wording "continuously" is a bit disturbing. He should have said "constant".

Related to What Is the Second Force Acting on a Particle in Constant Motion?

What is the second law problem?

The second law problem refers to the second law of thermodynamics, which states that in any natural process, the total entropy of a closed system will always increase over time. This law has important implications for energy and heat transfer, as well as the overall behavior of physical systems.

How do I solve a second law problem?

To solve a second law problem, you will need to use the principles of thermodynamics, specifically the second law. This can involve calculating the change in entropy of a system, determining the direction of heat flow, and understanding the concept of energy conservation. It is important to have a solid understanding of thermodynamics and its equations before attempting to solve a second law problem.

Why is the second law of thermodynamics important?

The second law of thermodynamics is important because it helps us understand and predict the behavior of physical systems. It explains why heat always flows from hot to cold objects, and why energy conversions are never 100% efficient. This law also has implications for the direction of chemical reactions and the behavior of engines and other machines.

What are some real-world examples of the second law of thermodynamics?

One example of the second law of thermodynamics in action is the operation of a refrigerator. The refrigerant inside absorbs heat from the food in the fridge, and then releases that heat to the surrounding environment. This process follows the second law, as heat is transferred from a colder object (the food) to a warmer object (the room), which is the natural direction of heat flow.

What are some common misconceptions about the second law of thermodynamics?

One common misconception about the second law of thermodynamics is that it violates the law of conservation of energy. However, this is not the case, as the second law only applies to closed systems and does not violate the conservation of energy. Another misconception is that the second law states that all systems will eventually reach a state of complete disorder, also known as entropy. While this may be true in some cases, it is not a universal rule and there are exceptions to this idea.