What is the scientific name given to the spaces in between molecules/atoms?

• Chemistry
  • Thread starter miniradman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Scientific
In summary, the spaces in between molecules/atoms, also known as intermolecular or interatomic spaces, play a crucial role in determining the physical properties of matter. These spaces cannot be seen with the naked eye and can only be observed using advanced scientific instruments. They are present in all forms of matter and their size can be measured and calculated using techniques such as X-ray crystallography, nuclear magnetic resonance, and gas chromatography. These techniques provide valuable information about the arrangement and movements of molecules/atoms in different states of matter.
miniradman
Hello there

I was wondering, what is the scientificly correct/accepted name given to the little gaps in between molecules/atoms.

I tried looking it up, but all I get is explanations about the uncertainty principle and electron clouds. I just want to know what the "gaps" are called

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Voids

Related to What is the scientific name given to the spaces in between molecules/atoms?

1. What is the scientific name given to the spaces in between molecules/atoms?

The spaces in between molecules/atoms are known as intermolecular or interatomic spaces.

2. How do these intermolecular/interatomic spaces affect the properties of matter?

These spaces play a crucial role in determining the physical properties of matter, such as density, melting and boiling points, and solubility.

3. Can these spaces be seen with the naked eye?

No, these spaces are too small to be seen with the naked eye. They can only be observed using advanced scientific instruments, such as microscopes.

4. Are these spaces present in all forms of matter?

Yes, these spaces are present in all forms of matter, including solids, liquids, and gases. The only difference is the amount of space between molecules/atoms, which affects the state of matter.

5. How do scientists measure and calculate the size of these intermolecular/interatomic spaces?

Scientists use various techniques such as X-ray crystallography, nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR), and gas chromatography to measure and calculate the size of these spaces. These techniques provide valuable information about the arrangement and movements of molecules/atoms in different states of matter.