What is the satellite's instantaneous velocity

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a satellite in geosynchronous orbit and its velocity and acceleration at different points. To solve the problem, one must use equations involving uniform circular motion and draw free body diagrams. The summary also provides step-by-step instructions on how to solve the problem.
shorti2406
Could someone tell me what formula I should use here?

A satellite travels around Earth in uniform circular motion at altitude 35836 km above Earth's surface. The satellite is in geosynchronous orbit (that is, the time for it to complete one orbit is exactly one day). In the figure below , the satellite moves counterclockwise (ABCDA). State directions in terms of the x- and y-axes.

(a) What is the satellite's instantaneous velocity at point C?
km/s in the -y-direction
(b) What is the satellite's average velocity for one quarter of an orbit, starting at A and ending at B?
km/s at 45° above the -x-axis
(c) What is the satellite's average acceleration for one quarter of an orbit, starting at A and ending at B?
m/s2 at 45° below the -x-axis

TO SEE FIGURE:

http://www.webassign.net/grr/chapter-05/fig-018.gif

Physics news on Phys.org
for uniform circular motion [tex]a=\frac{v^2}{r}[/tex], you know what r is and you know what a is, so you should be able to find out what V is. I would draw free body diagrams and then just wright the equations you have out. Atleast that is what I would think you would do. :-p

There is no one formula that will answer all of those questions. Physics is a class all about solving problems, so think about the big picture for a while. I have written what I would do while looking at the problem if you need a little assistance but I seriously urge you to try it yourself first.

A) Find the radius of motion for the satellite (center of the Earth to the satellite) and then find the circumfrence using that radius. Divide this distance by seconds in a day and you will find velocity. At point C, there is no x component of velocity so do not worry about using trigonometry.

B) The only acceleration I see is radial acceleration (which changes the direction of velocity), so the magnitude of velocity is constant.

C) Again, I only see radial acceleration in this problem so you can use the equation mewmew gave.

Related to What is the satellite's instantaneous velocity

1. What is the satellite's instantaneous velocity?

The satellite's instantaneous velocity is the speed and direction at a specific moment in time. It is the rate of change of the satellite's position with respect to time at that exact moment.

2. How is the satellite's instantaneous velocity different from its average velocity?

The satellite's average velocity is the total displacement divided by the total time traveled. It gives an overall picture of the satellite's motion. Instantaneous velocity, on the other hand, is the velocity at a specific moment in time and can vary throughout the satellite's motion.

3. What factors affect the satellite's instantaneous velocity?

The satellite's instantaneous velocity is affected by its acceleration, mass, and the forces acting upon it such as gravity and air resistance. Any change in these factors will result in a change in the satellite's instantaneous velocity.

4. How is the satellite's instantaneous velocity calculated?

The satellite's instantaneous velocity can be calculated by taking the derivative of its position function with respect to time. This can also be represented graphically as the slope of the tangent line to the satellite's position vs. time graph at a specific point.

5. Why is it important to know the satellite's instantaneous velocity?

Knowing the satellite's instantaneous velocity is important for understanding its motion and predicting its future position. It also helps in making necessary adjustments to the satellite's trajectory and ensuring its proper functioning in orbit.