What is the role of the chosen value t in the proof of L'Hôpital's Rule?

In summary, the choice of t based on the given conditions leads to a bound for the numerator of the first term that results in the desired implication for ##\frac{g(x)f(t) - f(x)g(t)}{g(x)(g(x)-g(t))}##, allowing for the proof of L'Hôpital's Rule to be completed.
Someone2841
I am somewhat confused by the proof of L'Hôpital's Rule in Pugh's "Real Mathematical Analysis." (See Attachments, Theorem 6). I follow every bit of the proof save one choice and its implication. That is, why choose t based on

##\displaystyle |f(t)| + |g(t)| < \frac{g(x)^2\epsilon}{4(|f(x)|+|g(x)|)}##
##\displaystyle |g(t)| < \frac{g(x)}{2}##,

and how does it follow that

##\displaystyle \left |\frac{g(x)f(t) - f(x)g(t)}{g(x)(g(x)-g(t))} \right | < \frac{\epsilon}{2} ##?

I understand that t need be chosen to be much closer to b than x, but I have yet to be able to convince myself why this meets that goal. Thanks for the help in advance!

Attachments

• L1.jpg
    L1.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 436
  • L2.jpg
    L2.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 411
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I assume you're OK up to this point:
$$\left|\frac{g(x)f(t) - f(x)g(t)}{g(x)(g(x)-g(t))} \right|+ \left|\frac{f'(\theta)}{g'(\theta)} - L \right|$$
Let's work with the numerator of the first term:
$$\begin{align}
|g(x)f(t) - f(x)g(t)| &\leq |g(x)f(t)| + |f(x)g(t)| \\
&\leq |g(x)f(t)| + |f(x)g(t)| + |f(t)f(x)| + |g(t)g(x)| \\
&= (|f(t)| + |g(t)|)(|f(x)| + |g(x)|) \\
&< \frac{g(x)^2 \epsilon}{4}\\
\end{align}$$
where the last inequality follows because of the first inequality on page 144.
Using this, we obtain the following bound:
$$\begin{align}
\left|\frac{g(x)f(t) - f(x)g(t)}{g(x)(g(x)-g(t))} \right| &\leq
\left| \frac{g(x)^2 \epsilon}{4g(x)(g(x)-g(t))} \right| \\
&= \left| \frac{g(x) \epsilon}{4(g(x) - g(t))} \right|\\
&= \left| \frac{\epsilon}{4(1 - g(t)/g(x))} \right|
\end{align}$$
Now by the triangle inequality,
$$|1 - g(t)/g(x)| \geq 1 - |g(t)/g(x)|$$
and since ##|g(t)| < |g(x)| / 2##, we have
$$1 - |g(t)/g(x)| > 1 - 1/2 = 1/2$$
Thus
$$\left| \frac{\epsilon}{4(1 - g(t)/g(x))} \right|< \left| \frac{2\epsilon}{4}\right| = \frac{\epsilon}{2}$$

Last edited:

Related to What is the role of the chosen value t in the proof of L'Hôpital's Rule?

1. What is L'Hôpital's Rule and when is it used?

L'Hôpital's Rule is a mathematical theorem used to evaluate limits of functions that are in the form of indeterminate forms, such as 0/0 or ∞/∞. It can be used when direct substitution of the limit results in an undefined expression or when the limit approaches infinity.

2. How does L'Hôpital's Rule work?

L'Hôpital's Rule states that the limit of a quotient of two functions is equal to the limit of the quotient of their derivatives. In other words, to evaluate the limit of a function, we can take the derivatives of the numerator and denominator, and then evaluate the limit again. This process can be repeated until a definitive answer is reached or the limit is still indeterminate.

3. Can L'Hôpital's Rule be used for any type of limit?

No, L'Hôpital's Rule can only be used for limits that are in the form of indeterminate forms, such as 0/0 or ∞/∞. It cannot be used for limits that are already in a defined form.

4. Are there any conditions for L'Hôpital's Rule to be applied?

Yes, there are two conditions for L'Hôpital's Rule to be applied. The first condition is that the limit must be in the form of an indeterminate form. The second condition is that the derivatives of the numerator and denominator must exist and be continuous at the point where the limit is being evaluated.

5. Are there any limitations to L'Hôpital's Rule?

Yes, L'Hôpital's Rule has some limitations. It cannot be used when the limit is not in the form of an indeterminate form, or when the derivatives of the numerator and denominator do not exist or are not continuous at the point where the limit is being evaluated. Additionally, it may not always provide a definitive answer, and other methods may need to be used to evaluate the limit.