Is it ever okay to park in a handicap spot?

• Thread starter Dagenais
  • Start date
In summary: The general trend is that people are becoming lazy. They are not willing to put in the extra effort to do something that is simple.
Dagenais
One of the things that annoy me most are people that park in handicap spots, and those that get the Handicap sign on their car, even though they are perfectly able.

Recently, I've seen people try to justify taking handicap spots. It was on the news a long time ago, and the people who took the spots seemed to be ashamed (covered their faces, ran from the reporter).

What's your take on perfectly able people who park their cars in handicap spots?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think it's inexcusable. Handicapped parking really is designed for people that need extra room for wheelchairs, or those motorized seats.

It's incredible how lazy some people are.

Last edited:
I don't think it is possible to get a handicap sign for your car if you are perfectly able. Just because someone seems to be able to walk fine doesn't mean they are not in some kind of pain they are keeping to themselves. My brother in law who has multiple sclerosis now has to walk with a cane, but before it got that bad he went as long as he could without one. Strictly speaking he could have walked from the complete other end of the parking lot, but why should he when he can get a handicap sticker and cut the discomfort of walking short? People who look more or less all right can have a lot going on you can't see.

Using a handicapped tag when you are perfectly healthy is inexcusable.

Keep in mind that you can't necessarily tell by looking if a person needs a handicapped tag. My mother had heart surgery in her mid-20s, and ever since she's been unable to walk long distances, even across the parking lot. She doesn't look like anything is wrong with her, though, and ignorant (though most likely well-intentioned) people have accosted her in the past over her HC parking permit.

I don't think it is possible to get a handicap sign for your car if you are perfectly able

It is possible. The news did a report on it. Some outright lie.

Others use an injured relative to get a sign, then they slap it on their own car.

She doesn't look like anything is wrong with her, though, and ignorant (though most likely well-intentioned) people have accosted her in the past over her HC parking permit.

I know people who have those 'fake' tags.

And I've seen people in their 20's and 30's get out of their cars, with the handicap sign and jog into the mall (obviously in a rush).

Others don't have signs, but I see it a lot. I was outside of school once for Band practice, and this lady pulled right into the Handicap spot in front of like over 100 kids and the teacher. She didn't even have a sign, and she walked into the building.

Is it really that difficult to find a normal spot? Because there were like 20 other spots available for her.

This whole thing just puzzles me. I mean, what is so wrong with getting a regular space and walking a few extra step? Are people just that lazy now?

zoobyshoe said:
I don't think it is possible to get a handicap sign for your car if you are perfectly able. Just because someone seems to be able to walk fine doesn't mean they are not in some kind of pain they are keeping to themselves. My brother in law who has multiple sclerosis now has to walk with a cane, but before it got that bad he went as long as he could without one. Strictly speaking he could have walked from the complete other end of the parking lot, but why should he when he can get a handicap sticker and cut the discomfort of walking short? People who look more or less all right can have a lot going on you can't see.
I'm talking about the people that park in the handicapped spaces that don't have handicapped stickers.

But that does bring up another point, people with handicapped stickers that seem to be fine (maybe relatives of the handicapped, or fake stickers?). I mean, if you can't walk a few more feet in the parking lot, how can you walk through the store?

It is a specific instance of a broader phenomenon. Another example: I have heard stories of people who are perfectly capable of working at an office-type job as a clerk or a secretary or what have you, who apply for disability benefits and get them courtesy of the taxpayers and a bureaucracy that is too easily hoodwinked.

But that does bring up another point, people with handicapped stickers that seem to be fine (maybe relatives of the handicapped, or fake stickers?). I mean, if you can't walk a few more feet in the parking lot, how can you walk through the store?

Extremely good point. If they can't walk another 20 feet, how will they get around in the mall?

There are people in wheel chairs or crutches that need those spaces.

It is a specific instance of a broader phenomenon. Another example: I have heard stories of people who are perfectly capable of working at an office-type job as a clerk or a secretary or what have you, who apply for disability benefits and get them courtesy of the taxpayers and a bureaucracy that is too easily hoodwinked.

Again - sick.

Even worse...http://www.couchmaster.ca/jerk/ .

Last edited by a moderator:
i am guilty of doing that once... I'm ashamed. And i do think that's its a horridthing to do. I don't really have a good excuse, i just did it coz it was raining and i didnt want to get drenched so i parked in the handicapped zone... : (

What is a handicap parking spot?

A handicap parking spot is a designated parking space that is reserved for individuals with disabilities. It is typically marked with a blue and white sign and is located close to the entrance of a building or facility.

Who is allowed to park in a handicap spot?

Only individuals with a valid handicap parking permit or license plate are allowed to park in a handicap spot. This includes individuals with disabilities, as well as those who are transporting someone with a disability.

What are the consequences of parking in a handicap spot without a permit?

Parking in a handicap spot without a permit is considered a violation of the law and can result in a fine or even towing of the vehicle. It also shows a lack of consideration for individuals with disabilities who may need the designated parking space.

Why are handicap spots necessary?

Handicap spots are necessary to provide equal access to individuals with disabilities. These designated parking spaces are located close to building entrances and are often wider than regular parking spaces to accommodate wheelchair ramps or other mobility devices.

How can I obtain a handicap parking permit?

The process for obtaining a handicap parking permit varies by state, but typically requires a doctor's certification of the individual's disability. You can contact your local DMV or Department of Transportation for more information on how to obtain a permit in your area.