What is the Rise in Temperature of Molten Metal During Cylindrical Die Forging?

In summary: The equation in bold is incorrect. You are dealing with a liquid, not an ideal gas (even for an ideal gas, the equation is incorrect). You are given the value of ΔP in the problem statement.
RajarshiB91

Homework Statement

[/B]
A molten metal is forced through a cylindrical die at a
pressure of 168000 Kg per square meter. Given that the density of
the molten metal is 2000 Kg per cubic meter and the specific heat of the
metal is 0.03, find the rise in temperature during this process. Assume
that the mechanical equivalent of heat is 420 Kg-meter per Kcal.

Homework Equations

H=MCΔT and V/T =constant (probably)[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not able to understand which equations to use to solve the problem. The density is given but volume is missing, so I don't have the mass. Also, how do I find the total heat added to the molten metal in the process? Do we need more data to solve this or am I misunderstanding the question?
This is not homework but a question from a competitive exam so I'm not sure what theory to be used to solve this.

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you familiar with the open system version of the first law of thermodynamics from your thermo course? If you do, then you will know immediately what the change in enthalpy per unit mass is for the molten metal being pushed through the die.

Chet

Likes RajarshiB91
Hi Chet, thanks for your reply. Yeah, I had a brief introduction to it a long time back. I read it again and I think I have solved the problem. Basically, all the terms cancel out and we are left with the following equation: Q=m(h2-h1) where enthalpy per unit mass h=u+Pv (v=specific volume;inverse of density)
Now, I think it is easily solvable with the given data.

RajarshiB91 said:
Hi Chet, thanks for your reply. Yeah, I had a brief introduction to it a long time back. I read it again and I think I have solved the problem. Basically, all the terms cancel out and we are left with the following equation: Q=m(h2-h1) where enthalpy per unit mass h=u+Pv (v=specific volume;inverse of density)
Now, I think it is easily solvable with the given data.
Actually, you can also expected to (reasonably) assume that Q = 0, since the die would be insulated. So you are left with Δh = 0. This will give you the answer you need.

Chet

Chestermiller said:
Actually, you can also expected to (reasonably) assume that Q = 0, since the die would be insulated. So you are left with Δh = 0. This will give you the answer you need.

Chet
But if you put only Δh=0, so the equation is then Δu+PΔν=0. But Δv=0 assuming it is incompressible. So, we get only Δu=0. Then how do I solve the problem?

RajarshiB91 said:
But if you put only Δh=0, so the equation is then Δu+PΔν=0. But Δv=0 assuming it is incompressible. So, we get only Δu=0. Then how do I solve the problem?
h = u + Pv, so for an incompressible fluid, Δh = Δu + vΔP.

Chet

Chestermiller said:
h = u + Pv, so for an incompressible fluid, Δh = Δu + vΔP.

Chet
So, Δu=CvdT and ΔP=RΔT/v. The ΔT cancels out again if I put Δh=0. I still don't see how I can get ΔT from just Δh=0.

RajarshiB91 said:
So, Δu=CvdT and ΔP=RΔT/v. The ΔT cancels out again if I put Δh=0. I still don't see how I can get ΔT from just Δh=0.
The equation in bold is incorrect. You are dealing with a liquid, not an ideal gas (even for an ideal gas, the equation is incorrect). You are given the value of ΔP in the problem statement.

Chet

Related to What is the Rise in Temperature of Molten Metal During Cylindrical Die Forging?

1. What is "Find the rise in temperature"?

"Find the rise in temperature" is a scientific process used to determine the change in temperature over a specific period of time.

2. Why is it important to find the rise in temperature?

Finding the rise in temperature helps scientists understand the impact of various factors on the environment and can provide insight into climate change and other important phenomena.

3. How is the rise in temperature calculated?

The rise in temperature is calculated by taking the difference between the final temperature and the initial temperature.

4. What tools or equipment are needed to find the rise in temperature?

To find the rise in temperature, scientists use a thermometer or other temperature measuring device, and a data recording system to track changes over time.

5. Can the rise in temperature be affected by human activity?

Yes, human activity such as burning fossil fuels and deforestation can contribute to the rise in temperature and impact the Earth's climate.